no spark?

GoldenMotor.com

james

Apr 1, 2009
St. Pete florida
I have a "80cc" motor kit, and now it doesn't want to start. i left it out in the rain for a short period of time. i thought the magneto cover was sealed, but apparently not. i took the cover off and a small puddle of water came out. if the magneto gets wet is it done, or can it be dried out and work again? this is the only thing i can think of, i think i have checked pretty much everything else. Or am i overlooking something? It has worked off and on since the rain. Please help.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I got mine wet and it worked after a shot of WD-40, but that does not mean all that get wet will work after wards, I just got lucky.

I assume you have tried disconnect the kill switch just for the heck of it? And you have tested for spark?

If you have a OHM meter you can check the CDI and Mag.

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/no-spark-wiring-cdi-mag-kill-2102.html

CDI pack GOOD Mine
Black to Blue 1150kΩ 7.6 meg Ω
Black to Plug 2.6kΩ 2.17K Ω
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
a mag should work after drying it wd 40 works good but compressed air would be helpful.
just something else i was wondering, have any of you guys ever played with the air gaps on these critters? how about the timing? are they even adjustable?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I used to have a problem with my front wheel splashing water onto the plug wire right at the CDI. The bike would stall and not start until I sprayed it with WD-40. It was shorting out and I could hear the pop as the spark jumped to ground. I ended up sealing it with a hot glue gun at both ends of the wire and it never happened again.
I think you may just have water on all your electrical stuff and water should not harm any of it. Bring the bike inside and set up a heater or fan

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the gasket for my magneto does not seal either but i wrapped black tape around the crack temporary,i had to take it out in the rain,im going to check the gasket and maybe use gasketmaker.and i used black tape around the cdi and on all wires.everything stayed dry and still works,but im going to use gasket maker or glue.