Kit(s) question

GoldenMotor.com

ShoeString413

Aug 23, 2008
All the 48cc 2-stroke kits on ebay all look like the same kits. Are the ones on ThatsDax.com or any of the the other sites like them the same kits as well. I understand they are all made in china, but is the quality of the motors on the websites better than the ebay ones? I'm new on here and want to get "MOTORIZED". A freind ordered one from ebay and we tried installing it on one of the OCC Sting Ray choppers with no success. I have a few bikes and want to put it on my Sting Ray chopper but not sure I want to go thru all the mess again. Does anyone have any suggestions on working with this bike?

Thanks, ShoeString

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
there are special mounting kits available on ebay for the stingray... The regular mounting hardware won't cut it so I'm told. If your friend still has the kit buy it from him and put it on a big ole cruiser or a mtb.

I know most don't agree with me but I don't think there is much difference in the kit. some say there is a lot of difference in the after sale service but I didn't need much and there is a hundred times more info here than I ever needed. It your money though

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I've bought 3 kits from the same vendor, Boy Go Fast, and all three have been different. One was areg 80cc (really a 67cc), another was a labelled a 70cc (more accurate description) but had a different muffler (cheaper), and the other was an EPA motor (same engine size as the other 2 but had a hole on the side, runs good though, and had a muffler with a CAT converter). I got them because they were cheap and I'm still learning. Thankfully I had help from here and a neighbor. It's up to you. I like different vendors because of the difference in service, communication, and convenience. You just have to pay more for it sometimes. It becomes a personal choice.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I said there would be plenty who disagree with me, so let me rephrase this... I bought the cheapest kit I could find and the kit was fine. (boy go fast) I screwed up the install but I can't blame the kit for that.

That is my experience with the china kit. I can only speak from my experience others will be speaking from theirs. I can't see how my kit could have been any better if I paid twice the price. It does exactly what I want it to do.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
All sellers have good points and bad points. I go for the best price aka. the cheapest I can find.
I don't worry about warranties or the I have the best and provide the best service etc. to me its quick shipping and lowest price.
that is my opinion only.
Norman

ShoeString413

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. I see most of you are like me I want cheapest price including shipping. I've learned a lot in this week or so I've been on here. I have a 1965 Schwinn 26" frame that I stripped down and repainted and fixed it up to look more like an Krate style bike but I'm running a 20" in the back and 26" in the front. I thought about setting a motor up on it but thought I would rather set it up on my newly acquired OCC Sting Ray. With the rear tire being so wide we found that the motor needed to be out farther than on a normal bike. The gas tank would have to be rigged up because of the rolled sheet metal under the top bar plus all of the smaller issues with larger frame size. I'm thinking for my first try at this I would rather just go ahead and put it on the old Schwinn instead.

ShoeString

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Thanks for the info guys. I see most of you are like me I want cheapest price including shipping. I've learned a lot in this week or so I've been on here. I have a 1965 Schwinn 26" frame that I stripped down and repainted and fixed it up to look more like an Krate style bike but I'm running a 20" in the back and 26" in the front. I thought about setting a motor up on it but thought I would rather set it up on my newly acquired OCC Sting Ray. With the rear tire being so wide we found that the motor needed to be out farther than on a normal bike. The gas tank would have to be rigged up because of the rolled sheet metal under the top bar plus all of the smaller issues with larger frame size. I'm thinking for my first try at this I would rather just go ahead and put it on the old Schwinn instead.

ShoeString
We installed a motor on an old shwinn and the frame was a little longer than the brackets on the motor. You may have to rig a mounting bracket of some sort to ensure that the motor can be installed properly. With the longer frame, we also had to modify the exhaust so it would clear the frame because of how we did the install. The cranks were hitting the engine just slightly so we had to play with the placement. We did use a 70's schwinn cruiser frame and I'm not sure if you will have the same issues.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Well, I have ridden these bikes when they came out on the back of a comic book. As an engineer & a mechanic I know Dax is right on target. There is a Lot of difference in the motors, Inside! The car you just saw may have a Corvette motor in it and not a v-6. They LOOK the same but are not. Sometimes the beauty is on the "inside"! We have his phone number and if need be can call him. How many phone numbers are on ebay?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hmmm Brand X kit 149.99 Arrives after buster brown has used it for weight training. Looks the same as the picture, Oh wait the sprocket is missing. Add 25.00 in phone calls and grief. The motor will not fit because the cast is not right. Lines up to the other mount tho. File, file. Ah kewl! No fuel line?
2 hours at auto parts. $3.00 a foot! Bolts arn't straight, snap! Easy out kit $35.00 Still waiting for sprocket, No gasket for gas tank, major gas leak. Hardware store has one! $ 5.00 gas for suv.$ 2.00 for gasket Peddle like crazy. Bad CDI More calls to Ebay 15.00 est. time loss whole weekend. $85.00 Drives Suv to work. $235.00 so far. Thatsdax kit $228.00 total, and it works, and it's all there, and I can email them and get a replie in a few hours, $ 149.00 on Ebay what a deal!

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I could say things about the different sellers including dax good and bad.
My dax engine wouldn't pull the hat off your head and I did a lot of work on it to get it to run right. Paint on the tank was very rough looks like there was dirt on it when it was painted. But I'm thinking Dax doesn't look at the engines in the box being sold it was still in the factory box and still sealed
Boygo fast engines ran great out of the box didn't need to do anything but mount them later on I work over the main jets. But his engines arrived damaged 5 out of 6 engines shipped had broken head fins and bent bolts. I had to pay extra for the replacement parts to be shipped insurance was to line his pocket I'm guessing I requested that my engines be better packed so they were double boxed and still had damage on the heads fins broken off and I paid for the shipping and he sent the replacement parts fast less than 5 days.
I ordered from kings in Canada and took about 2 weeks to get supposed to be an 80cc this was the first engine I ever bought it took about 2 tanks of fuel to get running good and has been going very good ever since I've yet to take this one apart. It came with out damage but I did have to work on getting the gears to stop rubbing inside the clutch cover the clutch lever broke when I was assembling it I soldered it back together with the aluminum solder and have yet to break it bike has fell over on it and its still good to go.
All engines but kings I've soldered and re drilled the main jet to get them to run with out being too rich.
boygofast engine is the one I've taken all apart for the posts.
Dax engine is the only one with needle bearing on the wrist pin.
all my bikes except one has a 44 tooth rear sprocket one has a 36 tooth sprocket. the Dax engine is the slowest of the lot the Dax has larger cylinder studs which I don't like, not much meat for the head gasket to seal on. and I removed the 3 cylinder base gaskets and messed with a thinner head gasket on the Dax engine to get it to run better it, it has the most engine noise when running. the cheapest engine I bought was boygofast the most expensive was Kings.
kill switches all work very good have not had a problem with any but I don't like the separate kill switch on the dax I prefer the kill switch on the throttle that is just what I like.
I'm not flaming anyone all of these engines are lots of fun that is just the cards I've been dealt with on these engine kits.
I still like the cheapest one I can find shipping was over priced on all my opinion only.
I will buy from any of these sellers again it just depends on who I can get the best deal from or what someone else wants if I order an engine kit for them.
I do not replace the bolts/nuts that come with these engines I use what comes with them. I only replace a bolt,stud or nut if I need a longer or special shorter fastener. I have yet to break off a bolt, stud, or strip one.
Haven't even lost a nut or bolt off any of my bikes.
My favorite bike to ride is the kings 80 cc powered bike not because of the engine but it is very quiet and smooth running but I have a seat on it that I like and a suspension front fork that is very nice. heck the bike is very easy on me all the rest are a little rough on the seat or I'm running handlebars that are not as comfortable to me but I'm not going to change all the things on each bike that I don't like. As each one is a animal all its own.
Norman

Last edited:

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Hmmm Brand X kit 149.99 Arrives after buster brown has used it for weight training. Looks the same as the picture, Oh wait the sprocket is missing. Add 25.00 in phone calls and grief. The motor will not fit because the cast is not right. Lines up to the other mount tho. File, file. Ah kewl! No fuel line?
2 hours at auto parts. $3.00 a foot! Bolts arn't straight, snap! Easy out kit $35.00 Still waiting for sprocket, No gasket for gas tank, major gas leak. Hardware store has one! $ 5.00 gas for suv.$ 2.00 for gasket Peddle like crazy. Bad CDI More calls to Ebay 15.00 est. time loss whole weekend. $85.00 Drives Suv to work. $235.00 so far. Thatsdax kit $228.00 total, and it works, and it's all there, and I can email them and get a replie in a few hours, $ 149.00 on Ebay what a deal!
I know the feeling..LoL

Being a " froogle " Individual

after my vender Just about doubled the kit price.I was forced to go EBay for a while to finish my customers Bikes .( what a night mare) not all but Many.
I don't miss the " surprise " every time i open a new kit.
I Use to get so excided when i received a kit from EBay and it actually had all the pieces in it.

There are plenty Of good venders Out there.
You just need to find one that's Honest ,reliable and affordable
that you feel comfortable with.

Many that buy from Us love the phone service when problems Or question need to be answered.

One good thing is .

The kits Prices Came down.

And WE all need to keep it this way.

Cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my kit is from gasbike. $149 for a 48cc dual start starfire II kit
arrived in 4-5days,shipping$30.comes with everything plus a 3 piece wide peddal set and manual.nothing missing.i slapped it on a $20 mountain bike.i used gasket and teflon tape on gas tank and tightened all bolts.i lined up the sprockets perfectly.it fired up very first time and every time.no leaks and nothing loose,but i check bolts between rides.

the price for my kit is now higher,guess i got it when it was on sale.

Last edited:

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
My first bike was a 149.00 china engine that came with all parts and good instructions. I Mounted this engine on a Kustom Kruser (Schwin repro beach cruiser), frame with alloy rims and a springer aftermarket fork. The frame required a custom built front mount due to a 2 inch stretch. This engine started the first time and has ran good ever since with the exception of running too rich at 3/4 to full throttle.

I paid 119.00 for the second engine plus shipping. It came with no instructions but all the hardware and the engine looks exactly like the first engine, (although the vendor was different). I have ported this engine and also increased the compression. I havn't tried to start this one yet because of mounting a Sick Bike Parts shifter kit to a mountain bike Schwin Skyliner frame. I will update this thread when I get the second bike running.

Oldcliff