Surging/Slipping with SBP shifter kit?

GoldenMotor.com

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out what is going on with one of my shifter bikes. When I ride it, it surges as if the drive train is disengaged suddenly for 1/2 second and then re-engages. This occurs randomly during a ride and is not associated with a shift in gears and doesn't occur more frequently when going up a steep hill.

Here's what I've looked into so far:
a. Derailleur: At first I suspected the derailleur was popping out of gear under load but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I've pulled the clutch in, shut engine off, and pedalled very hard up hills in the first 3 gears (I usually use only gears 1-3) and I don't have any slippage or derailleur jumping. The derrailleur is "tight" and shifts are crisp under power and when pedalling. Rear wheel freewheel cassette was replaced last month when it failed. I hope to heck it isn't repeating itself but it doesn't slip when I pedal.

b. Engine Clutch: Clutch has been checked and adjusted. Clutch flower nut has been adjusted, cable is fully released when I release lever and there are no seal leaks that could cause decreased clutch friction pad gripping. It doesn't slip when I pedal start it so I don't think that this is the culprit

c. SBP Freewheel????? Can this partially fail? I'm not sure how the freewheel mechanism works (sprag type clutch) and if it can fail partially. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice or input.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Funny you mention the freewheel, I'm having the same problems. I bet you also feel it in your feet. At one point today , well it happened three times, my peddles started to spin and man, did that hurt. It also scares the crap out of you!
I don't think they were meant for all the pressure needed to start the bikes, otherwise I love it.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Not good. I wonder if this is why SBP has quietly come out with a heavy duty freewheel?

I'm going to spray and clean my freewheel and relube it and see if that helps.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Well let me see if I can shed any light on the subjects mentioned, first dounuts31.

I can only speculate on the surging sensation since I can't touch or ride your bike. But that can't be related to the freewheel. When under power the freewheel is nothing but a bearing and can't slip. So that leaves just a few other options. You checked the clutch so that is probably not it. If you have the keys on your shaft then those gears shouldn't be slipping. You have a new rear cassette so I can't imagine that being the problem. The only thing I can think of is your bike chain. Does it happen only in the high gears or low gears? My thought is that your chains are touching. This causes a very similar sensation to surging or slipping. That would be where I would look first. When static you may think you have enough space between them but when riding your chains can oscillate and can touch. Here are two suggestions, first try spacing the chainrings farther apart. Second remove 3 or 4 links from your bike chain. You no longer have a front derailleur so you can shorten the chain. Shortening the chain will increase the tension applied by the rear derailleur and decrease the amount of chain oscillation.

toytime,
You are experiencing freewheel failure. I do not recommend you keep riding it. Send us an email and we can replace it for you. As you suggested starting the engine does put a lot of stress on the freewheel and some riders are more gentle when starting than others. However I have rode with my original freewheel for almost 2 years with no problems and I am sure you can imagine during all of the prototyping and testing I have started my bike more that most would in that time frame.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
To be honest, I'd bet that I have everyone of the problems you mentioned. Like "donuts", I've already tore a rear derail-er to bits but I think that was my fault. It may not have been finished changing over to the gear I had switched to as I came to a stop sign and when I took off, it went flying into bits. With my new derail-er my chain tends to fall of and I can see that the chain is way to long. I'll just take a few links out. It's not a big deal. There's a real learning curve to these kits. It's amazing just how many things change with the jackshaft.

You mention the chains touching, that is a very good point and one that I will be looking at. I can see that happening and that could very well be what I think of as a "surge", where the bike seems to speed up and slow down. That was why I felt that we were both having the same problems. Maybe that feeling I felt on the souls of my feet was the chains rubbing!

My freewheel,
It just started acting up today and my first thoughts were that I should take it right off the bike and clean it well.I thought that maybe it has dirt in it.
I Guess maybe the part about the peddles starting to spin tells you that there is no saving it. If that is the case I'll get in touch with SBP.

Glad you offered that , it was very helpful.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Ghost,
Thanks for the tips. My chains aren't touching, even in 7th gear. I put a couple extra washers to space the drive chains apart to prevent touching that I had on my first shifter bike build.

The chain tension may be an issue. Unfortunately, I cannot shorten the chain because my 1st gear is a 34 tooth mega gear. Its possible the large jump from 1st gear (34 tooth) to 2nd and 3rd gears means that chain tension is not adequate in 2-3 gears. I need the mega gear because I have 20% less horsepower at my altitude and I live in a mountain state. I just don't understand why this occurs on this bike and not on my other. I will switch derailleurs and see what happens. Both have the 7 speed megagear derailleur.

Thanks!

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I also use a mega range and I took 4 links out of mine. When in first gear my derailleur arm is pointing forward at almost 45 degrees but I have never had a problem and as soon as you shift into second it appears to be at a more normal angle. I would give it a try.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
You may also want to check for seized links in the chain. Just go through the chain and make sure all of the links are supple and not sticking. A seized link can cause skipping.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Clotho, I think you may be on to something. I'll cut a couple links from the chain and while doing so, look for "stiff" links.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I have experienced the same problem with the bike chain. I seems like it is "slipping". I caught it recently while pedaling the wheel on the stand to lube the chain. The chain would ride up on top of the teeth of the sprocket and fall back down. I experienced this under power and it would jerk severely. The problem was the derauiler was out of adjustment causing the chain to start to change sprockets and then fall back in place. I adjusted the derauiler and no more problems.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It does take some practice to diagnose things like the derailleur. Because it is being driven by the engine your only sense of it is through the seat of your pants. If you were pedaling and it did it you would feel it at your feet and know immediately what was happening.