Do we need a " belt driven" thread?

GoldenMotor.com

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
The Whizzer sheave will be vintage or new edition, the new edition will be alittle wider.
The other is a simplex, it's about 22"- 24", compared to whizzers 15"

Ray

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks to both of you guys for the sheave diameters. Looks like my 16=" rim is close to what Whizzer is using now and the narrower and larger diameter one in the first photos is close to what they used to use. I wonder why they changed.

Not sure yet what I will do fro belt clearance with the frame. My friend Tinsmith made a crimping tool based on the one made by msrfan. I've also seen where the stay has been cut, added to and re-welded... a more drastic approach. I guess I'll see what is what when the engine is in place, the wheel is build and has the sheave in place. Then see what will be needed. It did occur to me than my larger diameter sheave which is narrow might bring the belt in closer to the wheel and help with clearance... I would think so anyway. Ho wide is the belt you normally use? Thanks again for your input.
SB

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thanks to both of you guys for the sheave diameters. Looks like my 16=" rim is close to what Whizzer is using now and the narrower and larger diameter one in the first photos is close to what they used to use. I wonder why they changed.

Not sure yet what I will do fro belt clearance with the frame. My friend Tinsmith made a crimping tool based on the one made by msrfan. I've also seen where the stay has been cut, added to and re-welded... a more drastic approach. I guess I'll see what is what when the engine is in place, the wheel is build and has the sheave in place. Then see what will be needed. It did occur to me than my larger diameter sheave which is narrow might bring the belt in closer to the wheel and help with clearance... I would think so anyway. Ho wide is the belt you normally use? Thanks again for your input.
SB
Good morning, i'm not exactly sure why the edition sheave is wider, i know the primary belt is pushed out more because the flywheel is wider on the new edition whizzer, stator is behind it.
The rear belt size is a AX-60, here's some info for the AX www.accessdayco.com/Industrial.aspx

Also i saw the wheels your going to use,nice, i've done some awhile back like them. make sure you use .105 spokes, to be safe.

Ray

Attachments

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I am drawn to some v belts I saw in our local farm supply, they are the color of hemp and look so "early-period" they would have to look cool on a tribute build.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good morning, i'm not exactly sure why the edition sheave is wider, i know the primary belt is pushed out more because the flywheel is wider on the new edition whizzer, stator is behind it.
The rear belt size is a AX-60, here's some info for the AX www.accessdayco.com/Industrial.aspx

Also i saw the wheels your going to use,nice, i've done some awhile back like them. make sure you use .105 spokes, to be safe.

Ray
Ray, your wheel sure looks good. Thanks for the link to the belt site. I see that the width of the belt is 1/2", so did some checking on the wheels I was considering for the sheave. The 'trough' where the belt would ride on the narrower wheel appears to be a bit less than 1/2" while the one from a 20"bicycle wheel is wider and it's trough looks right on the money. I also realized that the larger, narrower wheel would not have given belt clearance for the tire itself, so now I know which donor will become the sheave. I did some checking on ebay for the belt price of the one you're using and was surprised and pleased that it is pretty inexpensive.

Yes, I'll be using thick spokes to build my wheels and I have a nice set of French made Atlas hubs I'm polishing up. Even though parts of this build will not come until next winter, this is the time to do the figuring and setting aside components so that I have a realistic plan to work from. The knowledge of you Whizzermen is a big help for those of us winging it with belt driven rides. Thanks again for your expertise.

When I was a boy I spent some wistful time staring at advertisements for Whizzers in the back of Popular Mechanics and Boy's Life magazines. "Someday", I thought. It took awhile, but at 68 I'm ready at last for my kindalikeawhizzer motorbike. And Dad can't say "no!" Ha!
SB

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray, your wheel sure looks good. Thanks for the link to the belt site. I see that the width of the belt is 1/2", so did some checking on the wheels I was considering for the sheave. The 'trough' where the belt would ride on the narrower wheel appears to be a bit less than 1/2" while the one from a 20"bicycle wheel is wider and it's trough looks right on the money. I also realized that the larger, narrower wheel would not have given belt clearance for the tire itself, so now I know which donor will become the sheave. I did some checking on ebay for the belt price of the one you're using and was surprised and pleased that it is pretty inexpensive.

Yes, I'll be using thick spokes to build my wheels and I have a nice set of French made Atlas hubs I'm polishing up. Even though parts of this build will not come until next winter, this is the time to do the figuring and setting aside components so that I have a realistic plan to work from. The knowledge of you Whizzermen is a big help for those of us winging it with belt driven rides. Thanks again for your expertise.

When I was a boy I spent some wistful time staring at advertisements for Whizzers in the back of Popular Mechanics and Boy's Life magazines. "Someday", I thought. It took awhile, but at 68 I'm ready at last for my kindalikeawhizzer motorbike. And Dad can't say "no!" Ha!
SB
Thank you SB, I also didn't get a Whizzer until I was 42 yrs. old.
I grew up in a cow town with the Dutch kids who all had Whizzers, being one of 10 in my family didn't give me a good chance of getting my wish for one.
In 1999 I bought my first one, now i'm hooked. You'll love the belt drive, it's a smooth ride. I'm looking forward to seeing your project.

Thanks,
Ray

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Why you're a young fellow, Ray!
I was just thinking about this love affair of mine with motored bikes. Much as I admire many fine motorcycles, truth be told I never wanted anything to take on the highway and run up to crazy fast speeds. I wanted a Whizzer or something like one and to ride it in the same kind of places I rode a pedal bike as a kid; city streets and country roads. And I pretty much wanted to ride in the same speed range as a bicycle, too, when you were pedaling so hard your pants almost caught on fire. Now I can hardly pedal. Ha!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the project, too. Not that I really need another project. Before the belt drive I want to finish up the Hiawatha tri-car with a 1934 German Sachs engine and a 1934 Elgin with a Villiars Midget engine. While I wait for this and that on those builds I think about this new one, the belt drive "Kindalikeawhizzer Jacobson/Schwinn Hornet". Each stage of a build is fun; where I am right now in the dreaming it up stage, then actually doing it and seeing it come together and finally that celebratory first ride off into the sunset on my trusty steed which I raised myself from a wee colt of an idea... "hi ho Silver, awayyyy!" God, I hope I never grow up...
SB

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Why you're a young fellow, Ray!
I was just thinking about this love affair of mine with motored bikes. Much as I admire many fine motorcycles, truth be told I never wanted anything to take on the highway and run up to crazy fast speeds. I wanted a Whizzer or something like one and to ride it in the same kind of places I rode a pedal bike as a kid; city streets and country roads. And I pretty much wanted to ride in the same speed range as a bicycle, too, when you were pedaling so hard your pants almost caught on fire. Now I can hardly pedal. Ha!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the project, too. Not that I really need another project. Before the belt drive I want to finish up the Hiawatha tri-car with a 1934 German Sachs engine and a 1934 Elgin with a Villiars Midget engine. While I wait for this and that on those builds I think about this new one, the belt drive "Kindalikeawhizzer Jacobson/Schwinn Hornet". Each stage of a build is fun; where I am right now in the dreaming it up stage, then actually doing it and seeing it come together and finally that celebratory first ride off into the sunset on my trusty steed which I raised myself from a wee colt of an idea... "hi ho Silver, awayyyy!" God, I hope I never grow up...
SB
I really do enjoy the Whizzers, they are simple machines on a bike.
It sounds like you got some nice projects going on SB.
I'll be sure to look for them. and i know the name of your project Kindalikeawhizzer....Silver!

Ray

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I've been thinking about this topic again, and then I remembered this discussion... so here's a reminder to all you good folks.

This says it all for me;

We may have more members installing Briggs style motors if the belt drive info was easy to find. The belt drive is the simplest way to install the bigger motors because a big sheave eliminates the need for a jackshaft and a hand operated belt tensioner eliminates the need for a clutch.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Been fun reading over this old thread. I'm still at it working on my "kindalikeawhizzer" which now has a 5 horse flathead Tecumseh and may be roadworthy by the end of summer, 2015. The other project having to do with belt drive is the conversion from final chain drive to final belt drive on a 1950 Schwinn Panther ("American Flyer") which uses a Q matic transmission. Making up the rear wheel for that now using 10 gauge spokes and a 20" bicycle wheel (16" rim) as the sheave. Hope to have that on the road this spring.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you have a synchronous belt that has teeth that engage a pulley that is best. I found with v-belt 4L I get by with cleaning occasionally the belt with mild dish soap and rinse and dry natural. I also clean with acetone and cloth the metal pulleys and then it grips better for my 20:1 and 3hp off road trail bike. Look, no pedals Ma!

https://vimeo.com/130158715 On the trails again!