I would like to apologize

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Most of the time I apologize to my wife, kid, and grand kids. This time it's to an inanimate object. For the last five years I have badmouthed hub motors. it wasn't without cause because I bought a hub motor five years ago and it was nothing compared to the one I have now.

The one I had five years ago was also a brushless hub, but it got to same range as a brushed scooter motor. It had terrible torque in general I felt and said they were trash. Now I am running a new one. Maybe it's a second generation, but it is one heck of a lot better than the original.

For one thing it gets four or five times the range of a brush scooter motor. To be honest it has less torque than a scooter motor hooked to a friction drive with direct wiring no controller. It would win hands down over a scooter running a brush controller. The speed is not quite as good as an uncontrolled 36v 800 watt motor but it is more than I need. I should also mention it climbs hills as well as the china girl bike I first built.

So the number one thing I have to say that makes me give it a thumbs up is the range. I have yet to find out what the true range is. I go the farthest distance I can imagine going in a regular trip it was about 8miles. I got home with 38.1 volts in the battery pack. That's a great improvement. I would expect to easily get 12 to 15 miles.

So hub motor you get a big thumbs up over all. You are easier to install almost zero maintenance and you look a **** of a lot better. I think to get the torque and speed of an uncontrolled 36v 800 watt motor, I would want to go 48v and 1000 watts. But I admit I was dead wrong about the hub motors in general. So forgive me lets shake and let bygones be bygones

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well it might have been dragging my fat butt around that did it, but it just what terrible battery power. It was a no name 250 watt 24volt. That was probably going full steam to get me across the street. However I have build several 24v brushed scooter motor with a lot of pep but miserable range.

Now this one is 36v 800w and by running it in an assisted by pedal mode it does very well even on sla batteries. I carry two battery packs each is 12 12ah I used one and reserve the other and then switch them now and then to wear them a little more equally.

I wish I had bought a 48v 1000 watt now. I find there are places it won't even start up the torque is just not enough to start it without a gut wrenching first pedal. The 48v might help some.

The point was whatever the reason I bad mouthed all hub motors because of the under power thing. The same 24v in a brushed motor provided better torque. So I built all friction drive scooter motors till I decided to give it one more try. Wife and my son in law convinced me to stop beating myself to death building friction drive bikes. So I put together a plug and place tricycle.