Help needed with building a Pedelec bike

GoldenMotor.com

fr32c

Nov 15, 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
Hi all,

since the dutch government is cutting the budget for student transportation and therefor I am losing my "free public transport card", I want to build a pedelec for going to college etc.

I also own a racebike and I'm in good physical shape. The only reason I want to go electric instead of going on my racebike is the fact that I can't take a shower at the university and I dont want to change from my raceclothes to normal.

I was thinking about a racebike frame (singlespeed frame) with race tyres (thin) 700cx23, a rear wheel hub motor and a bottle like battery pack. Then the front gear is going to be an 53 and rear gears 10 to 28 (aprox.) Still not decided whether I go with diskbrakes or "normal" brakes..

I'd like to go 25 m/h, with normal pedalling. So the motor must deliver 12.5 m/h (the other 12.5 is mine).

The route to the university is approx. 14 miles one way, so the bike's range should be 30 miles at least to be safe..

My question to you guys is: which motor should I choose and which battery pack? I'd like to keep the frame as clean as possible (yes, I am quit demanding, sry..) so I prefer a small silver one, instead of a big black one (magic pie and sorts)...

Thanks alot!

Greetings,

FR32C

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the forum. i am not familiar with other motors. i have had such good luck with the magic pie and smart pie i have not thought about anything else. range depends on how much you pedal. i have noticed that each time i ride i been getting better distance. that has to do with i try to pedal more and i don't use the engine when going down hill. golden motor has a new with water bottle type batteries. it is 36v. hope this helps a little and others weigh in.

fr32c

Nov 15, 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
Thanks! I did some further research and I noticed that the smart pie isnt as big as I thouht it was.. So that could be a good option for me.

Whether it comes to power, can the 36V 300W motor do the job? I don't want to go to high above the 250W legal limit.

For the battery I got my eye on this one:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/539772529/Electric_bike_battery_lifepo4_battery_36V.html

I understand it's difficult to guess the range, because it depends on so many things (wheight, wind, tire pressure, how hard I peddal). Can you tell me maybe how far can I ride with this 300W smart pie and the 36V12ah battery in ideal conditions, based on your own experience?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
it is all mountains here. i live on an island in the caribbean so no flat ground. i get around 20 miles with the 36v last i checked. hills are steep and long. i would think you could get 30 with that battery if you pedal to start and not use motor going down hill. that makes a big difference. as i said i can get 20 miles with next to no pedaling except up the mountains. also i would check and see if you can plug in at school. talk to a custodial person or something like that

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Don't buy that battery until you check out the REPUTATION of the Chinese seller.
This Seller is the Number one rated seller of Chinese made batteries for long trouble free use.
http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront
He also sells on ebay if there is a cheaper shipping price for you
http://stores.ebay.com/PingBattery

The best warranty that I know of if anything goes wrong .
Do follow his directions on charging and stuff.

About the motor you must find out what is legal where you live
I personally would not use a 250 watt motor. You may have to.
Do you have to peddle to use the electric power of your motor ?

peddletec vs ebike.
http://www.nycewheels.com/bike-info.html

I have never really looked at such a small elecrtic motor. I usually am only intrested in motors ice or electric of 3kw or more .
I guess I really want a small motorcycle that looks like a bicycle !

Last edited:

twinbrother

Dec 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Looking at your post, I don't recommend you doing it on thin tires. Thin tires cannot handle the weight. On my 48v 1000w setup, I use about 15 amps going 20-25mph on a 15 mile trip. If you want 30 mile range, that's a 30 amp pack. Give it, I'm going full throttle stop light to stop light.

You will need at least a 15-20 amp battery pack for a 30 mile range. Going half throttle on my setup gives me about 15 mph using up 10 amps. The amps rise exponentially the more throttle you give (ie you give 50% more throttle for 25% more speed). A lot of this you could probably figure out on a calculator to get a rough estimate.

amps x volts = watts

Look at the specs on the motor hubs you are looking at and find the max speed that setup gives you on the max watts. Determine if the max speed is enough for you and then determine the size battery you need. In my opinion, it's better to go with something more powerful and go half throttle and pedal than to get something less powerful and go full throttle and pedal. You will draw less amps and get better range. The only reason to go with something less powerful is to save weight on the setup because your battery pack is lighter because it's less volts.

And one more thing, there is no normal pedaling on an e-bike. You won't be adding 12.5 mph by putting in 50% of the work. With all the extra weight, you will be putting in 70% of the work to get 20% increase in speed. Breaking through wind resistance and pulling all that weight is hard. I go 27 mph no pedaling on my e-bike. I go just over 30 mph on my e-bike pedaling at 100% body strength when I race the bus to make the green light and I can only do it for about 1 min.

Hope that makes sense and helps a little.

Last edited: