This chain tensioner?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Here's my bike with the skipu tensioner from eBay. It was a bit tricky finding the correct spring and mounting but it works great now that it's all sorted out. By the way re-assembly of the clutch arm is important as when I first put it back together the clutch arm would not move at all. So I took it back apart and put it back together making sure the arm was loose and moving.
Thats the one I thought Mitch was talking about before I saw a pic of his. They both look like good tensioner systems. Pretty much the same TYPE, just mount different. One inside and the other outside of the clutch case.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I decided to MTFU and just cut the stupid pin. It works. No more :-|| for me.

Also got me sum wide cranks and a new pipe coming!!

http://speeddemon.ca
Didn't I PROMISE you it would work. Glad ya got it working bro.
Looks like all Speeddemon has left are the 49cc kits, No 66cc at all. The wide crank looks like a pretty good deal though.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Does it make sense that I would need to leave the choke on just a little bit when it's cold or going like 20 mph? It seems to sputter, then jump then stall.

Btw I like the chain tensioner. I am trying to make a carb adjuster for an NT out of the old CNS cable.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Does it make sense that I would need to leave the choke on just a little bit when it's cold or going like 20 mph? It seems to sputter, then jump then stall.

Btw I like the chain tensioner. I am trying to make a carb adjuster for an NT out of the old CNS cable.
If it only does it cold, well, thats just how some, not all, of these engines are. I have a cold starter myself. Runs like crap cold, but once it warms up it's fine. Now if it still does it warmed up, then I would say try a bigger jet. Putting the choke on gives you more gas, less air. So if it runs better with the choke "just a little" on, then you need "just a little" bigger jet. You can either drill out the one you have or just order one, they are cheap. Now don't kill me if I'm wrong, but I think the stock jet is a .70 or there about's. So either buy a drill bit just barely the next size bigger, or buy a jet the next size bigger, your choice.
fatdaddy.
Does anybody know more about jet sizes than I do, Please jump in.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
is there a diagram I could use? it's an NT.
What are ya trying to do to it? if yer just trying to enlarge the jet, Thats no problem at all. I can't say for sure what size jet you need, but I know how to take one off, drill it or replace it. LMK what ya want to do.
It's ONLY a two hour drive from Santa Rosa straight down 880, bring yer bike down on a weekend and we'll go through EVERYTHING. Too much trouble?

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Mitch, I was sitting here having a late dinner and it hit me. Before you get drastic and drill the jet, Check for an intake leak. It sounds to me like yer getting too much air. Theres a real easy way to do this. Get yourself an old catsup or mustard bottle, the kind with the squeeze top, and fill it with water. Start the bike and let it idle. There are only two places the intake tube can leak air. At the engine flange or the inlet/carb connection. Squirt a good amount of water on both places where the carb connects with the engine running. Try not to get any water in the carb itself. If you have a leak it will probably kill the engine or it will at least start running bad. If it does you know where your problem is.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm gonna try MAP gas around the leak spots. Makes the RPM's climb.
Water's free and makes the RPM's dip. What little gets sucked in wont hurt anything. MAP gas works, I just can't afford to use it like that. Seems like a waste to me when there's something for free.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool FD. Would never have thought of water.

Thinking just a spray bottle?

I've used starter fluid, carb cleaner and that sort of thing. Never liked putting flammable near hot. 'Cause, according to Carol; "Fire bad, emmKay" lol

(Was not even a real big explosion and the fire was out long before the FD was even close. sheesh)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Cool FD. Would never have thought of water.

Thinking just a spray bottle?

I've used starter fluid, carb cleaner and that sort of thing. Never liked putting flammable near hot. 'Cause, according to Carol; "Fire bad, emmKay" lol

(Was not even a real big explosion and the fire was out long before the FD was even close. sheesh)
Yeah Dan, Water. Just make sure it gets all around the fittings. I've been doing it this way for a while, can't remember where I heard it from but it works great. I use something I can drizzle a good amount of water with. Right now that would be a squeeze top plastic mustard bottle. And a little water on yer engine wont hurt it either. FREE TEST. (I like free.)
And OH YEAH, No fires.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Is this a great thread or what? We started this talking about chain tensioners, Engine mounted mostly. Then got into a debate over the old Rag Joint Vs. Sprocket Adapter, The Sprocket Adapter WON OUT, ( hey, It's my post, I'll tell it my way.) After that it got into a "left leaning engine". I think we ALL learned a lesson there which is, IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY. Then a forum member, in post# 55, asked for help getting his bike running. (I wont mention yer name Mitch, OK.) Long story short, Next time yer bike won't start, check for FUEL IN THE TANK!!! THEN, back to chain tensioners for a minute before getting into how to check yer intake tube for air leaks. The lesson there is, FIRE BAD.
I think the OTHER site would have had the Mod's jumping in crying "off topic", And using mind control techniques to "guide" you through the forum.
So I just wanted to take this time to say THANKS to Dan, (Staff,) And 2door,(Super Moderator,) and all the staff and Mod's that make this such a great forum. And I can't forget all the long time members that put their time into this trying to help when they can, (Al. Fisherman comes to mind, ) With good, solid advice.
I don't think we say "Thanks" enough for all they do for the site. Ya KNOW it's gotta be a time consuming, sometimes frustrating job. And the ONLY reason I can think of they would even do it is PASSION, It's gotta be LOVE.
So THANKS GUY'S, Keep up the good works.(^)
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Well said. This forum is unbelievable!! I've spent some time catching up on the old threads and I've learned so much about this new hobby. Everyone has been so professional and helpful.

2door for example talks about mechanics but there are sometimes deeper messages(keeping a marriage running requires regular maintenance like these bikes), and about strategy and diplomacy (by including the optional wiring plan in the wiring diagram he has "mollified the opposing faction"). Great stuff..

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No, no. Thank you FD! Truth be told, is just a great bunch of folks here. I like to think the forum is more about the people and not just about our love of these crazy devices.

All the best threads, IMVHO, ramble around. Like a folks just talking. I'm the OP of building a shop thread that's still going on. Just off the top of my head and so far we have discussed solar heating, bats, bat poop and bat stories, cartoons,
pets, heating and cooling using unconditional methods and how and why not to anger the cook. Is hysterical. Rarely does the actual building come up.

Just sayin' it is a blast to know and hang out with you folks. Most especially to be of service when possible. (LOL, mostly I just delete spam but hey.)