Who sells these ..Exhaust gaskets??

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to any auto parts store, ask for exhaust gasket material, about 1/8" thick and make your own. It will be better quality than any replacement gasket.

The metal, copper or aluminum gaskets are good but they rely on a flush mating surface. They will not conform/seal to warped or uneven gasket areas. Almost without exception the exhaust flange is warped from it being welded to the pipe. It needs to be dressed flat before you can expect a gasket of any kind, to work well.

Tom

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Thanks... once I get the exhaust off, I'll try to file it down some before putting on the homemade ones.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks... once I get the exhaust off, I'll try to file it down some before putting on the homemade ones.
Here's a little tip that might help.

Clean the flange, gasket side, and paint it with a black magic marker. Find a good flat surface, glass works best, or any known flat surface and rub the flange against sand paper laid down on the glass. One or two swipes will show you immediately where the high and low spots are. File or sand until you have a flat uniform gasket sealing surface.

The mating machined gasket area on the cylinder is typically pretty flat but you can check it the same way. Use a flat object, wood or a flat file with sandpaper on it to run across the exhaust port. You can stuff some paper towel in the port so no filings get into the cylinder.
When things look good reassemble the exhaust with your new gasket and torque the nuts or Allen head cap screws down to 60 to 80 inch pounds then recheck them after the engine has reached operating temperature a couple of times.

Good luck.

Tom

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Tom,
I got it installed, and it's holding for now. If that lasts 4 months I'll be happy.
I filed the header, so it would have a flat surface to match up to.
The Mr. Gasket material is only an 1/16" thick(still pretty thick though).
Thanks for the info!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're very welcome. You shouldn't have any problems but let me know if you do. We'll go from there.
Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I expect that gasket material may or may not be with asbestos used, so take care not to have small particles of the stuff scattered where you may later ingest or breathe the stuff.

I have twist plumbing copper tube fittings that worked quite well on my exhaust test, but for taking it apart more than one or two times and the fiber gasket shreds. I'm going to try using soft copper sheet and try making out of that. Possible also to put high temp copper formagasket coating on it if alone it leaks.

MT