Trying 6 speed morini engine?or KTM??

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Iam thinking of trying the 65cc Morini 6 speed engine or KTM 110cc--anyone tried this or will it rip the components apart?? The reason is i have the 5.8 Morini but no gears for mountain trails--any thots---i have the SCSW Pipelyne full suspension bike.

Attachments

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
I've looked that way, but they are all too long and have to be horizontally mounted which is extremely hard in a bicycle frame. plus the two strokes generally much lighter. Might look into the KX65 though, can be bored out to 80cc and are cheaper.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
I've been running the Yamaha YSR50 engine now for just under a year (Nov'11') and have just a hair over 2000mi on it. It is mounted on a 1964 Schwinn "Racer" frame and have absolutely no problems with fit, vibration, or frame stress. The engine/transmission weighs just a little under 40lb (38) and balances out well for handling. Currently on Ebay there are three YSR50 engines for sale at around $250.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Thank you for the great idea mdlee1958, I'll keep an eye out for one of those motors. The YSR was pretty popular around here so CL usually has a few or parts. Team Calamari Racing makes a bunch of stuff for the YSR engine.

Of course the bicycle with a geared engine is technically a motor driven cycle and needs a motorcycle registration, at least in CA. I wonder if this also applies to running engine power through a derailleur or geared hub, as it could be argued that those were on a bike before motorization.

Internal gears are way stronger than a derailleur or geared hub setup, it would be nice to not worry about all the complication of shift kits and extra chains or bike hubs that might not hold up.

It sucks that if you want to be 100% compliant its difficult and expensive to have a multi-speed transmission. I wonder if semi-automatic transmissions still count as automatics under CA state law, that's how they are classified in other types of vehicle, why not in bikes? The ATV style semis in Yamaha PW80's or similar style engines might fit a legal loophole niche for motorized bikes that need good hill climbing without all the external complications.