Who can make a sprocket adapter for Nexus hub?

GoldenMotor.com

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I have two bikes with a 3 speed Nexus hub, I can't find sprocket adapters that fit. Does anyone know where I can get a couple adapters that work with this hub or that can custom machine from one of the adapters that are available?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Currently I know of nobody. My last bike has that hub and I was unsuccessful finding anyone who made an adapter due to the large diameter of the Nexus hub.
Good luck , and let us know if you find something.
There are a lot of the 3 speed Nexus hubs out there and I'm surprised the adapter makers haven't discovered it.

Tom

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Currently I know of nobody. My last bike has that hub and I was unsuccessful finding anyone who made an adapter due to the large diameter of the Nexus hub.
Good luck , and let us know if you find something.
There are a lot of the 3 speed Nexus hubs out there and I'm surprised the adapter makers have't discovered it.

Tom
Yea I would get my 3 speed Nexus hub re-laced with a better rim and spokes if I could find an adapter for it.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Off Hand I don't think there is a commercially available clamp on type adapter for that hub but a machine shop could probably make one (a custom one off would probably be pretty expensive tho).

If you must use a Nexus 3 Sp hub and want to precisely mount the sprocket, there is a version of the Nexus Hub that is compatible w/ a Disc Brake (maybe you could trade yours in for one? or maybe just the case is different and you could buy the "shell" and put your internals in the disc brake version of the hub to save cost?).

Converting to a hub w/ a disc brake mount would allow you to bolt a sprocket onto the disc brake mount area..(as a side note: I did read somewhere, that the Shimano Nexus hub w/ the 3 speed disc brake may use the "new" style center lock method for securing the rotor as opposed to the "regular" 6 hole mounts....I would have to do some research on that but it is kinda late so I'll have to research that later BUT probably in either case a sprocket is easier to make than a clamp on type adapter).

Anyways, That may be an easier alternative than trying to make a clamp on type sprocket adapter or waiting for somebody to make one (I wonder how many 3 sp hubs are being run out there in the motorized bike world?).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

PS - FWIW - Sturmey Archer makes a 5 speed hub w/ regular 6 hole disc brake mounts....Model is S-RK5(N)..

Last edited:

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I got one over a year ago from the Manic Mechanic for my Shimano Nexus internal 3 speed hub, and has worked great.
I too am interested in finding someone that has them, because I just bought another bike and want to put the same hub on the new one.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you must use a Nexus 3 Sp hub and want to precisely mount the sprocket, there is a version of the Nexus Hub that is compatible w/ a Disc Brake (maybe you could trade yours in for one? or maybe just the case is different and you could buy the "shell" and put your internals in the disc brake version of the hub to save cost?
I'm pretty sure that 3-speed Nexus for disc brakes is a 32 hole hub. :(