First Build, Torker Boardwalk, LEB x-80bk 66/80 cc

GoldenMotor.com

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
This is long overdue. I joined this forum a while ago. I recently got the opportunity to trade in an old hybrid Trek, straight up at my local bike shop, for a Torker Boardwalk beach cruiser. The bike retails for about $250.00. After acquiring this bike without putting down any cash, I decided to pull the trigger on an engine kit. I purchased my kit from Lucky Early Bird on Ebay. This purchase was based on price and a recommendation from Slobalt (thanks Slobalt). The instructions that came with it aren't great but I'm finding good information on this forum.

I purchased a nice sprocket and adapter from Pirate cycles. I got a 48 tooth sprocket because I'm 6'3", weigh 210 pounds, and there are some pretty decent hills that I plan to climb on my 13-15 mile commute to work. The adapter I ordered for the sprocket is the proper width for my hub, but I don't think I will be able to get it tight enough without shimming it with a piece of bike tire inner-tube or something of that nature.

I also purchased some upgraded hardware fasteners and a universal front mounting kit from Sick Bike Parts. I ordered the mounting bracket with the stud width I wanted (1.9" or 48mm). This is the widest they provide. I estimated my stud width and thought it would be fine, but it turned out my stud width was 50mm, so I had to drill out the holes a little bit. It fits nicely now.

This project is slow going for me. largely due to the fact that my wife has me working on a living room that takes priority. If I get lost, I have some neighbors that have made some beautiful bikes, my father in-law is a good mechanic, and of course there is all of you guys on this forum :). in the meantime, here are some photos for your thoughts, comments, enjoyment, and or rude gestures :). I'll keep posting as progression continues.

Thanks!!

Attachments

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
Okay, I think I'll be ready for a test fire/drive tomorrow after work. I just need to get some fuel and wire the kill switch. My only concern at the moment is the amount of space there is between the rear tire and drive chain. You can fit a sheet of paper in between the two and that's about it.

Here are some more photos.

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
That is a fantastic looking bike! Bill is right, you can move the sprocket adapter laterally, it is pushed out as far as it will go?

I would be concerned about the adapter needing to be shimmed, though. Did you order the right size? The Falcon coaster brake hub that came on my 2002 Huffy Cranbrook was an odd size, a bit smaller than the newer Falcon and Shimano CB-110 hubs. Since I needed new wheels anyway, I just upgraded to a wheel with 12 gauge spokes and a CB-110 hub, so the sprocket adapter fit great.

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
Thanks for the input guys! I need to bend the coaster brake arm outward, in order to slide the adapter outward.

I'm not sure on the brand of coaster brake on my bike. The adapter I ordered from Pirate Cycles was the size recommended for CB-110 hubs, and it seems to work fine without any shimming needed. I took the bike on five thirty minute rides this weekend and there hasn't been any slippage.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Thanks for the input guys! I need to bend the coaster brake arm outward, in order to slide the adapter outward.
That makes sense, I had to bend mine out to clear the original sprocket with the rag joint that came with the kit, so when I put on the hub adapter I did not have clearance issues, since my arm was already bent.

I did not get fancy with bending it, just put the coaster brake arm in a vise, put a pair of vice grips on the end, and pulled the pliers in the direction I wanted to bend while tapping it with a hammer. Then did the same to the tip of the arm. I think some people use heat to make it easier.

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
So I bent the coaster brake arm outward, and got a little more clearance between the chain and tire. Somehow, unfortunately, the hub came loose on the opposite side. Now the wheel is a little wobbly, and I didn't notice it when I went for a test ride. The tire is now rubbing on the right side chain-stay, which put a bunch of rubber shavings (like a pencil eraser) all over the back wheel and chains.

One problem solved, another created...

:-||

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Sinogin..

I have the same rear tire problem. What I do is set the rear tire a little more to the right. I mean tighten the left side almost all the way, then push the tire towards the right a little (away from the motor driven chain), then tighten the right side. Then, fully tighten both nuts again.

The bike will not even feel like it slightly turns to the left.

Try it. If it doesn't work for you, you can get a slightly smaller tire.

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
Thanks Donphantasmo!

I'm glad I saw your reply before I ran off to my local bike shop this morning. I will give this a try before I get a new set of tries. Maybe I will get a Memorial Day ride after all!
.flg.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
sounds like you need to tighten the rear hub,being carful not to over do it.too tight is bad, not tight enough also bad.off set motor mount might help as well,also chain tensioner might need tweeked a lil to keep good chain line.ive used pirate cycles adapter on three of my five builds found out the hard way to use lock tite on the bolts.good luck,peace