Firmstrong Urban Man (from BeachBikes) Good bike to motorize?

GoldenMotor.com

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I'm looking to build my first motorized bike and I have been reading the forums here for days (thanks for keeping up this wonderful site); I think I may have settled on a Firmstrong Urban Man (3 speed) as my target bike. I searched the forums and got some hits on Firmstrong stretch bikes that have been motorized, but nothing on the Urban Man. Has anyone built one on this frame before? Does the bike hold up well? Any problems with the engine mounts? How is the foot placement in relationship to the seat position?

I'm looking to use this as a nice weather ride to work, which is 22 miles away. So I'm gonna want some comfort.

I've also settled on an SD Stinger for my engine kit (thanks for all the good info from other posts).

Thank you all and happy riding,
Charlie "Wireman" Blair
usflg

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I've given some direction to those who'll listen, "get a Macargi Huntington Beach Cruiser"
$164.oo $39.99 to ship, just a little over $200.oo get the bike in less than a week, No! sales tax, 4 colors,Green,Black,Matt Black and Mid-Night Blue, Old Schwinn Qaulity components and styling, you can check out mine on the thread titled Ol' Blue pg 8 you can purchase the bike at www.bikebuyers.com, they have a vast varity of bikes and style to choose from, at least check their site out, I'm not their spokesperson just like their service and selection as well as the Huntington, more quality then you'd expect or will get from another brand even a new Scwhinn and I was raised on Schwinn bikes.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
go to www.bikebuyers.com take a few minutes off this site and click on to the link they sell the three speed your wanting called a Cheetah made by Macargi and they are sweet!! go ahead take the step then let us all know what you saw and think, just make sure you can get a drive sprocket for that 3-spd or Jack Shaft from S.B.P.or check out the rover 3-spd

Last edited:

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
Thanks for showing me that site. They have some good bikes at great prices. I didn't see the Micargi Cheetah that you mentioned.

The Firmstrong that I am looking at is very similar to the Micargis that I saw. I had read in other posts on this forum that the Micargis had weld breakage problems. Any thoughts on that?

You mentioned something about connecting the motor to the 3 speed shifter. I had no intention of doing that, in fact I didn't know it was something that was possible. I want the three speed for pedaling part of the time.

Will the size of the Shimano Nexus require the sprocket hole to be made larger?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I have not had any problems with my bike,some people ride a little rougher then others, they are made of high tin steel and weld are thick but clean.
If your putting an engine on your bike the kit drive sprocket will not fit over the larger 3-spd hub some place's offer a bigger hub adapter & sprocket for the 3-spd check out the add Pirate cycle on the side of this on this page on the left side of this forum.
The bike I was refering to is under the beach cruiser single spd but it does'nt come with the 3 spd it was actually the Macargi Rover under the mens 3spd catagory, once you get to the bike described then click the picture of the bike for better details of the bike

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Oh! by the way what are you going to connect the motor to if not a drive sprocket, you will be able to use the 3 spd but only to peddle and once you connect the drive chain to the drive sprocket that in-circles the rear hub you may also use the 3-spd to shift gears while driving
do some research on the whole motorized bicycle thing it might help you understand a few things about how everything works together.

Last edited:

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I like the Micargi Tahiti better than the Rover. The larger upper frame on the Rover looks like it would be difficult to mount the tank to without extra fabrication.

I don't have a problem modifying the sprocket to get it to fit over the larger hub. I have many machinist friends that owe me favors.

I coach my school's robotics team and I have lots of experience with sprockets etc.

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I think you may have misunderstood me, I understand implicitly how it works. Believe it or not, I am more concerned with finding the right bike than I am about putting it all together. I think I misunderstood you as well.

But now I think we may be on the same page.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
well those are good things to know so lets get started with your bike, personally I don't care for those peanut gas tanks that come with the kit and on my cruiser I opted for a behind the seat tank made from Pat Dolan at Sportsmanflyer for $150.oo that mounts to a laid back seat post also made by pat , yes the tank is expensive but well worth it in it's functionality and astetic apeal, you can choose to get one from a lawn mower shop or modify a stainless steel water bottle and even a tomatoe juice can as others have done, you can make a gas tank out of just anything including an old fire extinguisher.
I like the Macargi taiti as well, nice bike, but I do recommend doing some research in order that all you p's & q's are lined up when you finally start your build, it fun and every bike has it's challenges as you will learn but its still fun and the challenges make it even funner (LOL)
go to my thread and check the gas tank out and other thing's as well

Last edited:

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I checked out the Pirates site and it is loaded with good stuff. They look like they have just what I need for the larger Shimano Nexus hub.

I agree with the gas tank size, I found a site for a 1 gallon tank that is pretty nice. I like the look of the tank up front.

I checked out the pics of your bike; it looks like the Micargi Tahiti. Nice laid back seat too!

I am anxious to order everything as soon as I get my tax refund.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I actually designed the bike with a 1930's theme and is very highly customized, infact only about 10% of that bike came out of the kit I would also suggest getting your engine at custommotoredbicycles.com and you can also contact
[email protected] that is if you don't live in California as they won't ship a 69/80cc engine and the little 48cc really don't have a lot of power, Don't! just buy a cheap engine or get the cheapest engine deal
"Good bikes aren't cheap and cheap bikes aren't good"
if you pm ME (private message) I'll give you Lynn's ph# and you can talk with her to see what would fit your needs, she is pretty square

Last edited:

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I like the Schwinn Riverside from Kmart. It's steel, well built with v-brakes, well designed. Already built two mbs with this bike, reasonably priced..