HS Carb Float Adjustment

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
My new 4G kit is wonderful (yes, it's true) but I wish it would start better.

First start, cold engine, takes from 6 to 10 pulls to start. Runs for a while with the choke fully on. Once warmed up, one pull is all that's needed.

I plan on doing some jet work with it, but I'm wondering about the float thing. Is the level correct? Does the fuel flow freely into the float bowl until correct level is reached?

I appreciate information on the float adjustment procedure. That would be a help to me in making sure the carb is set up correctly.

Thanks,
Fred

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
What do you have the mix screw set at, Fred? Does it start easier when the rear wheel is off the ground?

my HS starts in 1-2 pulls when cold, full choke. First I open petcock and set choke. Give the engine a light pull to turn it once and prime the carb, getting the pull starter in position for a full pull. Then I turn off kill switch and give the engine a full pull. It almost always starts immediately, if not, a second pull will do it.

However, if my 4G's bushing needs oil bad, my engine sometimes doesn't start unless either the bike is on the wheelstand or I am rolling down the street when I give it a full pull. The 4G clutch really needs new springs, because between the thirsty bushing and the weak springs, the clutch often drags enough to prevent the motor from starting when cold.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Mix is set at 2 1/2 which from what I've read, should be plenty. Fuel flows well from the gas line to the carb. I am suspecting some sort of restriction problem between the entrance to the float bowl and the cylinder. I'll get it sorted out when it warms a bit.

Just wanted to know what information is out there about the float level.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Fred, that sounds very similar to what mine does or did. I just turn that handy knobbed idle screw up a few turns and set the choke on full. Then hit the throttle 3 or 4 times and she always starts by the second pull. I don't have any info on the foat.