New 4 stroke Build Honda GHX50

GoldenMotor.com

IronHorseBikes

Nov 13, 2011
Jacksonville Florida
First timer here and looking for some advise on a new build. I just picked up an old Slick Daddy Cruiser frame and my Honda GXH50 arrived yesterday. I have the parts list pretty well worked out except for the exhaust and I am looking into putting on a better intake on the carb. Any suggestions on which exhaust systems will fit that will also give a nice sound and a good breather?
I'd really appreaciate any input.
Thanks..trk.trk

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
welcome to the forum, IronHorseBikes! Looks like you're building a solid runner!

My brother has a GXH50 and I have the Huasheng copy of it. We both use the same type of exhaust:
Header cut from a chinagirl 2-stroke exhaust, 32-36" of stainless flexpipe, and a Briggs 5-7HP muffler.
Probably the best-sounding and best-breathing exhaust you can put together for these.

Good luck on the intake manifold. As it is, these have a plastic spacer roughly 3/8" thick that serves as the manifold. But it works well.

IronHorseBikes

Nov 13, 2011
Jacksonville Florida
Thanks Aleman,
I wasn't even thinking in that direction. I guess I was leaning too much towards the prefab stuff. The flexpipe makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip and I'll let you know how it works out

IronHorseBikes

Nov 13, 2011
Jacksonville Florida
Thanks to the Aleman on the exhaust tip. I have done just what you suggested on the flex pipe. I have another question for you. You said your brother uses the GHX50 on his bike, what kind of carb is he using? My problem is this...I am having a custom tank made for the bike and the fuel outlet will be slightly lower than the fuel intake on the stock honda carb. From what I have read (and this could be wrong) the honda is gravity fed and will not draw fuel from a lower point than its intake. What would be the best carb to use on this engine?
All suggestions are appreciated....
Thanks again. .shft.

IronHorseBikes

Nov 13, 2011
Jacksonville Florida
I'm thinking maybe 2"+/-. I may be worrying too soon. We'll see what happens when the tank is installed. Just out of curiosity, could you suggest a good carb for the GHX50? I'd like to look into it ahead of time just in case.

Thanks again...You have been a great help.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, the factory carb can work just fine. Staton-inc sells a kit that helps you adapt a throttle to the GXH50 carb: Throttle cable Assembly for Honda GXH50 QXA

The Honda carb has a slightly small jet in it compared to the HS/Titan carb. If you run the engine bone stock it should be fine. But once you start doing stuff like freeing up the exhaust and intake, the engine may start to run lean. Happened to my brother's GXH50. Simply drilling out the jet or swapping it for a larger one will take care of that.

If you really want another carb, the HS or Titan carb will work. But seeing as how you start with a perfectly fine carb, I think the Staton adapter kit would be ideal. If you do find yourself having fuel delivery problems, then a carb with a pump diaphragm might be what you need. I can't find a source with one at the moment tho.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have a GC160 on a tiller, with a gravity feed tank... AND, it uses a pulse pump to feed the carb. guess they wanted positive fuel management???
It's a great little engine.
Bolted right up to replace a blown Kohler that had been on there.
rc

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Pipe should be 7/8" ID so it fits chinagirl header and Briggs muffler. O'Reilly's doesn't have it.
u shape pipeclamp will shrink it that other 1/8 of a inch if you can not find anything else
or weld on another small piece of bigger pipe to get the OD of the solid pipe to 1 inch

more than one way to skin a cat