new member first build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome.

I love them Point Beachs. Had one last for 8K documented miles and a whole lot more un, then I hit the same pot hole twice, lol.
The thing had 3 different kinds of engines on it. Really purty bikes! The fenders will kill you if you dont shore em up or take em off and the book racks will fall off unless helped.

Same PB in both pics but a few yrs a part

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
hi im working on making my first MB this winter as a project but i want to know if this motor kit is worth it GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 Super Rat 66cc/80cc Slant Head Bike Motor Kit (Standard Finish)

i already know i want a dif tank and a Manic Mechanic Sprocket & Adapter and hopefull a diff exaust but i want something that will be louder and longer ending by the rear wheel

my project bike is a read and white Schwinn point beach
Good luck getting any 2010 or later Skyhawk motors for anything resembling a fair price if you can find a new one at all, last I heard they have all been sitting in customs for months with no release date in sight.
Go through the order process at gasbike/kings for yourself and you'll see.

I take it you want to make powerful racer, don't be bike stupid with your base. A $100 wally world bike will tear itself apart before you even have the motor broke in.
I really should be documenting all the schwinn and huffy bikes someone else build I have had through my shop with the most common problem, the back wheel gives out.

Sure, pretty frames but they are weak and they break too, but the wheels are garbage. Go ahead and invest in a new good rear hub or even bearings and axle if you want but if you crunch the numbers you will find the difference between a $100 bike and a $160 bike is a penitence when you get to replacing the tires and wheels, you just spend won't hours stranded and fixing **** and you still have the weak frame problem.

Really dude, **** bikes barely hold up to people pedaled 1/4HP, you try throwing 3+HP on one and you aren't just asking for heartache, you are guaranteed it.

Just my 2¢ after more than 2 dozen new builds on solid bikes and a dozen repairs, or in the case of the brand new Huffy sitting here with a ruined back wheel before the tire nubs were even worn off being completely stripped and put on a solid Macargi bike.

flyingltd

Nov 8, 2011
champaign il
well i dont really want a racing bike i just want something to ride across town and back pretty realiably and kinda quick and i have a welder so i dont really give a **** if it breaks ill just reweld it together so im not worried i build dirt track race cars and drag cars this isnt something to race

anyway if getting the super rat isnt going to be an option and suggestions in the same price range while still being a 2 stroke

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
lol.out of stock.try piston bikes or bikeberry or ebay.good kits are getting harder to find.try dax a lot of people say good things about him.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The grubee 66 is a great motor. I have had mine problem free for close to 4000 miles now. The motor will serve its purpose stock, and on top of that, it's a great motor to modify (it likes it). The schwinn you have should be alright for the job, if you take your time and secure everything right. It doesn't sound like your planning on off-roading or racing. Everyone has to start somewhere. The motor can always be transferred to a different bike easily at a later time. When you get started be sure to take pictures to share your builds progression.

Take care

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
2011 Skyhawks are back in stock at Gasbike/Kings for $185 again.
It looks like they modified the carb again and put a nice air cleaner on them and not those obnoxious red plastic things.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
looks like the version 1 carb with the hose clamp air filter.Looks like they are just getting rid of old stuff to me.$299 for just the gt2 frame?Thats allmost as much as the whole bike was.I think I will pass.I got other things to take care of,maybe next year I might build another bike.I'm out,peace