HELP!: Need Clutch/Motor That Engages Wheel From Total Idle

GoldenMotor.com

sikkarius

Feb 7, 2011
Nebraska
I had a Pirate Cycle 2 stroke over the Summer and my main complaint was that it required a sturdy pedal before the engine would engage. While that might seem like no big deal, imagine actually trying to use your motorized bike as a real mode of transportation and having to stop at traffic lights on an uphill. It is virtually impossible to get velocity going to keep up with traffic, you get lots of honks and even near swipes, because they expect you to be taking off so much faster.

What is the solution to this?
I see two.
1) Get a multi-gear clutch that has a first gear that more or less can engage from idle.
2) Get an electric starter and rig it directly to the pedals or the murry herself, and press that to engage the engine before letting the clutch out. This would take care of those pesky hills and perhaps even serve as a nice back up motor.

Please give me advice on this, I am trying to find an engine kit or rig one that will be able to accomplish this, thanks.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
A simpler way to go would be to use a centrifugal(centrifical) clutch. Can start from a dead stop, and still able to bump start your engine.

found one with a pull start on sale over here:
http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-engine-centrifugal-clutch.html

but ebay might just have the clutch for cheaper. There's different threads around on installing them.

A starter motor would be unique, but then you have the added weight of the battery(s)

gl.