Staton chain drive and a ht bicycle engine rear sprocket, could it work?

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Is it possible to use a staton chain drive and instead of buying one of their wheels or getting the hub put on a rim, could u use a 36t sprocket off a ht engine it? Its a small motor, i don't know if it could work or not. They use a 410h chain on their kits. It would probably make it go slower since its alot bigger sprocket. Could this work?

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: Staton chain drive and a ht rear sprocket, could it work?

If the sprocket teeth match and you can align the sprockets, yes I believe it would work. Your gear ratio would be MUCH lower, though.

Staton gear box has 18.75:1 gearing. With an 18-tooth external gearbox drive sprocket and an 18-tooth driven hub sprocket, final drive is 18.75:1

If you replace the 18t hub sprocket w/a 36t sprocket, final drive would double, from 18.75:1 to 37.5:1

That would make for excellent mountain climbing, but you'd prolly wind out @ 10mph(guesstimating).

If you installed a 24t hub sprocket, gearing would lower to 25:1. Standing starts would be good, and top speed might be 20mph (guesstimating).

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Thats what i was thinkin'. I want a rear mount chain drive but not a ht kit, and i don't want to replace my front or rear wheel with a staton wheels. Not that i couldn't, that would take seconds. but i trust my wheels. I don't want to widen my crank. Back to the drawing board....

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

You would also lose the freewheel with a fixed sprocket.
You could put a frewheel at the Staton drive sprocket.

There's also a vendor that sells a freewheel hub that'll accept 36-44t sprockets.