questions for first build!

GoldenMotor.com

aguynamedloren

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey All,

Since discovering this site just a couple days ago, and I've been absolutely hooked on the thought of building and riding a motorized bike.

I have the exact look in mind, but I don't want to go all out on a high end bike with expensive parts for my first build. Many of the bikes on this forum have inspired me and I know I can get the look I'm going for on a shoestring budget.

I'd like to keep the bike itself under $100. Here are my options:

Dyno Beach Cruiser - used

Schwinn Lakeshore - almost new

Huffy Cranbrook - brand new

The handlebars, fork, and seat will be replaced regardless, and the frame/wheels/etc will be repainted - so those things will not factor into my decision. I'll also be adding front brakes and doing a quick tuneup (grease bearings, tighten bolts, etc) before motorizing. I am mechanically inclined, but I would prefer to salvage the other core components without having to replace them off the bat.

I could be wrong, but I think the Dyno Beach Cruiser may have a slightly longer frame than the others, which would be nice because I'm tall (6'3"). Other than that, they all have similar lines that would fit the look I'm going for. I'm wondering which would give the most bang for the buck - a higher quality used bike, or lower quality new bike (with proper tuneup)?

Thanks - can't wait to get started!

rainmn

Aug 6, 2011
NJ
If it were me, I'd go for the Dyno without a second thought.

My wife has a GT / Dyno Kustom Kruiser (no motor), and it's a really nice bike. Nothing special, just a simple single speed Women's Glide cruiser. I have a Cranbrook that I motorized, and the difference in quality between the two is obvious.

I also think you are correct on the geometry of the Dyno. My wife's bike is definitely more comfortable for me than the Cranbrook is.

I went for the cheapest bike with my build, knowing that I'd either sell it quickly and build another, or end up changing out most of the parts on the bike. Not to mention, at the time, I could not find a good quality used cruiser. (I was looking for either a GT / Dyno or an Electra.) I should have been a little more patient, as I've since found a few of each on my local Craigslist.