In Praise of Old Bikes:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I started this little post (okay, I can't foresee yet if it'll stay little) because I've experienced more modern bikes, as well as owned and ridden some really old ones. I've always felt more drawn to the older ones. And what got me thinking about it was all the work I've been doing on my wife's Schwinn Cruiser. There I was polishing the chrome rims, when I noticed that she had some really thick spokes. I got my caliper. Yep, 12 gauge spokes. I looked closer at the rim. It took me five good minutes to find the weld where they joined the ends, and I'm still not sure that was it. Checked to see if I needed to true them, they spin (and spin and spin...) dead center. Already, I've noticed the heavier steel in the frame and nicely done welds. And this bike, her bike, is Schwinn's 1996 tribute to the old balloon tire cruisers. IT ISN"T EVEN THAT OLD! If I hadn't looked up the serial number I wouldn't have seen much difference between it, and one built back-in-the-day.

My dad's Schwinn Corvette is an example of when bike makers actually still valued their reputation and didn't want to offer a piece of trash. I admit, I desired his bike. It was HEAVY though. But the nice thing: if you saw a man riding by on one, you could throw a lit stick of dynamite at him; it'd kill the guy and you could take the bike. Not much on this Earth could hurt it. Solid welds here too, heavy-duty wheels, smooooooth bearings, well sprung seat, and those BIG tires. Much to love.

I had a Schwinn Stingray when I was younger. Looking back, I was way too hard on that bike. It never failed me though. My dad was always a die-hard Schwinn fan and he felt that if he bought me something cheaper, I'd kill it. He just might have been right about that. That Stingray was still in pretty good shape when I "outgrew" it. It was then stored in the "barn" (really big shed). Some time after I had moved to Cleveland, I remember telling my folks that anything I hadn't already brought with me they could get rid of, or sell, or whatever. (Shoot me. It's "Idiot Season".) I checked back a few years later. Yep, Stingray was sold.

I picked up this ancient Hercules for about ten bucks when I was too poor to own a car, but didn't want to ride the bus. I thought the lugged frame looked promising. Tore her down, polished the rust off some mating surfaces, lubed bearings, put her all back together with very little fuss...and, for a bike that must have been left outside almost as long as I'd been alive at the time, it ran great! I eventually cleaned her up better and repainted her before I sold her and moved on to a Bianchi. I could never have bought the Bianchi without layaway. The Bianchi was a great bike too, but I barely got to know it before some ***** stole it.

There were many, many others in the interim. I'd rather not own up to the Huffy. The Schwinn Varsity was very, very good for a more modern Schwinn. The Concord Y-frame's shifting sucked. The Mongoose was okay; it went forward and managed not to break; it was only $100. I've forgotten a few that weren't memorable enough. I motorized the Micargi Huntington; the steel frame was pretty good but in retrospect I think the rims may have been a bit light-weight, and the fit and finish of some basic parts could have been better. I still had a blast with the Huntington though. And I still have this Kent Glendale, just for pedalling around and getting my leg strength back after the accident.

The old JC Higgins I have now shares many characteristics of the older bikes above, many which I value: strong welds here too, the wheels were good but I put my worksman wheels on anyway, smooth bearings, excellent construction in general. I have learned since that it was never a top-end bike, but compared to what I see offered in the big-box category of major retailers (where you would have purchased a Higgins when they were new) it is far better made, in ways that you would have to spend more money to get now.

Bikes are like most other things: you get what you pay for, if you are lucky. With new bikes, generally, the more quality you want - the more money you will need. With old bikes that have come down slightly in price, you can sometimes get something that you couldn't have afforded years ago. And I like tinkering, so fixing up an old cruiser and getting it rolling again is really growing on me. There are people on this forum that can tell a Wards Hawthorne from a Sears Higgins at a glance. If I get to that point someday, well, that's not such a bad thing after all. :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
They just dont make em like they used to...... i have a European made "Kroon" vintage bicycle, and when i pulled it down to clean it up i was absolutely amazed at the quality of some of the parts, and they still looked brand new...... ive owned a lot of modern mountain bikes and the only thing i could compare my Kroon to as far as quality is my "Santa Cruz V10" downhill bike, and at the time that was pretty much top of the line and you dont expect much change from $10,000 and yet the $40 Kroon bike i bought off EBay seemed to be just as well made if not better...... just heavier.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Love the older bikes though I tend to gravitate to 80's to mid 90's lug frame chromo, mostly mountain, Bridgestone, Dback, Specialized.....but some road bikes too. Just finished rehab on a '80 Schwinn Le Tour and next up is a a late 70's Schwinn Paramount that I recently came across.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Even the American made Schwinns from the early 80s were very well made!

I came across two that were left outside for decades & had dirt & ivy roots welded to every inch of the paint.
After a couple of hours of clean up, they both looked & worked great & had very minimal rust!! (Even the paint was good in those days.) (^)