turning intake upside down

GoldenMotor.com

barryd

Aug 3, 2011
Jackson,Tenn
Will it be ok to flip the intake upside down,I am having carb clearance problems with it the original way.It will work flipped,just had to angle the motor alittle more. thanks Barryd:-||

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I don't see how you can get the carb to fit with the intake upside down at all - are you sure you're doing it right to begin with?

Explain better what carb and what motor.

As well, what do you mean "angle the motor more"? The motor will only work right at the correct angle to the frame - otherwise you'll have a broken drive sprocket and jammed up chain in your future.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I highly recommend getting a billet intake from a dealer. They come ported to match and are short to give you the clearance you need. Plus, it helps with performance. Not a bad buy for $15.

You don't want to flip the intake and have that lead to other problems that you may not be prepared for. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If we knew what engine he had it would help a lot. Photos would be even better. A while back there was a question about fuel leaking from the carburetor. Everyone supplied the normal answers until the man posted a photo. His carb was installed upside down. :(

We always suggest that questions be accompanied by a discription or better yet a photo on the installation.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't see much problem with flipping the intake manifold to gain clearance long as the carby is level, or close to level...

I guess optimum would be to set up the intake so it is directing the flow in the direction of the port, internally... maybe kinda like they have decided it is best to have the exhaust flow first go downwards before you go turning it to wherever you need it to be to fit the bike...
rc

barryd

Aug 3, 2011
Jackson,Tenn
I was not trying to put the motor on upside dowm I was trying to get the carb level. I just got me a dAX RT carb i was having clearance problems trying to got it on right due to my seat post I.I have a Raw66cc motor,I figured out I could shorten my intake a 1/4 inch and it would work.so I did and it worked,but the air filter wouldn't fit so I took the round black foam filter from my old carb and put it on the carb and it seems to work fine.I will take some pictures today to show everyone.thanks for all the great advice,Barryd

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I'm aware you're not flipping the engine - I'm worried about you "angling" the engine though.

Please clarify what you mean by angling the engine.