"Silencer" removal on SBP xchamber...

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
After reading a few threads, I've been wondering if the removal of the "silencer" on the end of the SBP xchamber pipe would be worth a bit of performance. I could add a stinger of sorts by cutting the stock pipe and working it around the frame in some fashion or another. I'm not worried in the least bit about the loudness. Let'er rip! Northern Virginians are already way too high strung and a bit more noise coming inside their BMW's isn't gonna make their road rage that much worse! Ha!

Anyone taken the silencer off and if so, what have the results been?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What small increase you might gain will be offset by the damage you'll do to this hobby. Why skate on thin ice? We're already under scrutiny by many legislative branches who would like to see us go away. Don't give them any more ammunition.
Have you ever considered that one of those Beemer drivers might be a VA state lawmaker?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I have removed it.

There is really not much of a power gain - if anything, it's detrimental to the performance of the pipe. It is much louder, which I personally like, and is loudest at idle, it quiets up a bit when it's wide open. Granted, I removed mine to be able to fit a larger muffler, a B&S I saw at the local hardware store. It's about 3 times the size of the SBP silencer, and maybe 2x the size of the SBP muffler.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
haha. i have a grubee expansion chamber & a silencer i bought from a hardware store. still trying to figure out how to make it work.

even if adding a silencer took a few mph of my potential max speed, i feel i can ride faster than i do now. because it is too loud for WOT.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Wow. Too loud? Ruining our hobby? A bit much don't you think? And as far as the BMW driving VA legislature goes, that would mean 75% of the population around here is working for the state.

Honestly, this thread wasn't meant to go this route. I simply wanted to know if there were any improvements to be seen from the removal. If it's too loud and "ruining" our hobby, then I guess I'll take a motorcycle license class, insure the bike and not worry about anything. I love riding and the "hobby" that much that I'm willing to do that. I know for a fact that the "noise" it makes won't even compare to some of the ridiculously over-priced, over-chromed and tacky Harleys that roll around here.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check around and you'll see a number of cities have cracked down on loud motorcycles. MCs are well established and in little danger of being outlawed due to their numbers. They can however control how much noise is allowed. Our bikes, small as we are, will be much easier to legislate out of existance. Showing little or no consideration for other people is a good way to get the wrong kind of attention from the people who can, and will pass laws to get rid of us.
If you were my neighbor you'd get little sympathy from me.
Loud exhaust is no different from the 'boom boom cars and loud radios. That's the same as saying, "If you don't like it, tough $hit. I'm going to do it anyway, because it's all about ME, not you. I don't especially have much respect for that mentality.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Well, the biggest point I would like to reiterate is that there is no performance gain, and if anything, it's detrimental.

The stock muffler has a second function as a stinger - you remove the muffler and you remove a chunk of your top end. Now, the actual silencer bit that you can add to it's tip, that one actually restricts flow, which takes off your top end - albeit not very noticeably. That's why I will be running a muffler that is 3 times the size of the silencer, and without the stock one for a bit more focus on the midrange performance.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Well, the biggest point I would like to reiterate is that there is no performance gain, and if anything, it's detrimental.

The stock muffler has a second function as a stinger - you remove the muffler and you remove a chunk of your top end. Now, the actual silencer bit that you can add to it's tip, that one actually restricts flow, which takes off your top end - albeit not very noticeably. That's why I will be running a muffler that is 3 times the size of the silencer, and without the stock one for a bit more focus on the midrange performance.
Thanks for some solid info. I appreciate it.

And as for the comment about it being all about ME, and who cares about the neighbors...move to NoVa. Totally different place out here. I can't even have my trashcan in front of my place after 5pm on trash day without getting threatened with a fine...sometimes a little "rebellion" does one good. I get the fact that the rest of the people in the area pay their "dues" and want everything just "perfect" but when you deal with this kinda "utopian society" BS all day, every day with no thought of being an individual, it get's old. Does that '32 have catalytic converters? If not, I'm sure your neighbors would be appalled. Not to mention the lack of fenders. Road debris can be a dangerous thing to adjacent drivers...

Last edited:

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
sounds like a nice place, around here the neighbors can let their grass grow a foot tall and their dog's knock over the trash to nose through it and crap in my yard daily. I like the SBP just the way it is stock ;)

myke

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I tried taking out the baffle and no extra power out of it just a bunch racket.And 2door is right its just a bad example for the hobby theres enough trouble and laws concerning motorbikes as it is we dont need anymore unwanted attention from the law.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Well, it'd be a lie to say that there is NO extra power. Between low and mid range opens up, as you just took a few inches off the stinger. The trick to adding some lower power to the SBP pipe without the loudness is to get a wider ID muffler.