restoration of French bike solex 5000

GoldenMotor.com

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
2008 when I was on vacation with his family, I found this beauty in a repair shop and bicycle rental. I could not resist his charm and while I did business with the owner does not rest. The f'rias were about half and with the tailgate of my truck completely full, this bike was wrapped and tied to the roof of my car he walked over 1000km until you get home

As you can see, in a state order, a lot of rust and a lot of work ahead:-||

It was all dismantled and scraped by hand (not goto jet harnesses), all parts are for chromium plating and other treatments led primary home and painted the original color. The whole engine apart, new bearings, gaskets etc.

URL=http://img834.imageshack.us/i/solexpeas2.jpg/]
[/URL]
[img=http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/223/solex2.th.jpg]
As you can see, it was very beautiful. thank you very much for your comments
dance1

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
man i would love to find a project like that, sweet score, you got a lot of work ahead of you good luck and keep us posted

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice old Solex, Jose. I used to be a member of a yahoo Solex group even though I didn't have a Solex. Those guys know a lot about these bikes. Looks to me like you're trying to do it right. Great project.
SB

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
URL=http://img233.imageshack.us/i/solex2.jpg/]
[/URL]

yesterday I posted a picture of solex already done, but something happened there she is

Jose Pinto

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for your feedback. I'm also a member of a forum solex in Portugal, The result of this project owes much to these wonderful forums that much help to share knowledge. When I started this project I did not know the mechanics of solex, but the Internet has opened the doors to the world both for good, as unfortunately for the bad. Solex But this is just one of the inhabitants of my garage, I have two more solex 3800, so I'll post pictures opurtunidade

stuffandstuff

Oct 11, 2010
Asheville
That's awesome dude great job. I have a friend who lives in France and his grandpa gave him his old soled exactly like yours. He just finished redoing as well! Nice job man.

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan
I have a Solex, I do not know the model but it is a French made version. I rode it a bit before moving to California but on back roads the dust is a bit difficult on the diaphragm and after some lower extremity issues starting via pedaling is a drag when working on it. It is rough but in decent shape, but is missing the headlight and has a cracked cover on the left side. If someone is interested in it, I am in Michigan and would post or send pics. I have not tried to do anything with it in 3 years. The tires are quite worn and it is a little rough but not bad for someone wanting a Solex since I do see parts available, etc.