GoldenMotor.com

surfingbird

May 4, 2011
new orleans
Ok s lets start by saying this is my first build

I have a schwinn phantom re issue

It's fully broken down and ready for powder coat

I have few questions that I have stumbled on after lurking for a few weeks
1. What type of crank and pedals do need , apparently there is some clearance issues?
2. Grubee , raw, etc what's everyones favorite kit
3. Brakes?
4. Tires? 26"

I want to learn from everyones mistakes because as a frequent forum visitor I understand the vast amount of knowledge you guys have

So please help me make the right decisions first

And please address any issues I might have left out

Thx in advance

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
1: Depends on frame size - you might need an extended crank on the left side to clear motor and exhaust. Won't know until you mock it up though. If you go with a pull start kit, you'll need to extend your right cranks considerably.

2: My fav kit is Raw (@ Products )- but that's just personal opinon. They're all relatively the same thing, dodge the red filter housing carbs (CNSv2) though. Biggest thing is find a reputable retailer that will stand behind their product with good customer service and a rocking warranty. If you see "Limited Warranty", run like ****, cause if you put gas in it it's void.

3: You can run any kind of brakes, but I suggest a dual pull brake lever so you can get 60-70% rear and and 30-40% front. Side pull caliper is bottom of the barrel, v-brakes are next best, disc is awesome (see #4 for exception), and hub brakes are best. AVOID coaster, they will die so quick and it's dangerous.

4: For wheels and tires you have a few options. For tires, go either heavy duty thorn resistant tubes with liners; slime; and thick knobby tires, you can get a set of armadillo kevlar compound tires with hd thorn resist tubes with liners and slime, myself personally I use solid tires from AmeriTyre - but it takes an inperson custom fit at a local retailer to ensure they work well. For wheels there's options too - there's HD axle kits with hub brakes (threaded lefthanded freewheeling sprockets and a pullstart), ragjoint sprocket mounted on at least 12G or greater spokes, and disc brake rotor mount sprocket (exception in #3). As far as wheel size - 26" is standard. As with driven sprockets vs drive sprockets and their gear ratios, when you go 29"/700cm wheels you have a tough bottom end, but a great top end (and if you build ragjoint style sprocket mount it's more at risk of damaging rims). The smaller wheels (21"-24") will get you more immediate acceleration, but lower top speed at the same peak RPM.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Good warranty or cheap enough that you don't care.

The eBay kits are cheap and a never ending supply of parts will always be there. If you like experimenting, the cheaper the better I say. I'm new too. I'm glad I didn't go more expensive to start with. I had no hesitation about tearing into the engine and seeing what makes it tick. I probably wouldn't have with one of the praised Morinis, for instance, that cost more than my entire build. But that's me.