Running lights off the HS & HF engines...which wire?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been asking around and so far getting nowhere. I'm no electrician and am hesitant to just try hooking stuff up without some idea of what I'm doing. I sure don't want to wreck the magneto or whatever is the equivalent of the CDI on my motors. China girls I understand well enough to have run head, tail and brake lights successfully off the white wire using LED lights. I want to do the same with these four strokes. Has anyone done this who can tell me which wire is the magic one on each of these two motors? I don't even know that they are six volt systems, but am guessing they are... hope they are since the jewel running lights I made are for three to six volt or so. Twelve might cook the LEDs. Any help would be much appreciated and useful to others, too.
SB

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
hey Silver with technology we have today,your better off with battery operated headlights. But I like to think simple. lol

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I may well run my headlight off of batteries or a sidewall generator. Bit I liked with my Happy Time motors having a tail light, a front fender running light and brakes lights which would be opperational so long as the engine was running. I never had an issue with the engine starting or running poorly because of them, so long as I used LED lights. This must also be possible with these four strokes. I'm not talking about optimum lighting, just basic running lights juiced by the motor.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I did a little experimenting today with the Greyhound motor. I thought I'd try the wire going to the on off switch and it did light up a 6V set of nine LEDs I had. Briefly before burning them out. I've used the same light with a China girl motor, so it isn't or wasn't the light. I did notice a bit of hesitation from the engine when it was lighting the LEDs They were on for just a few seconds. I'm not sure what that means, but am guessing the Greyhound is not a 6V system and gave the LEDs too much voltage. I guess I'm going to need to get a voltage tester to see what it is putting out. So for now this inquiry is getting put on the shelf. Maybe one of you less electronically challenged Greyhounders will figure something out. I may have to go with a sidewall generator and battery pack until somebody smart figures this out. There must be a way.
SB

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I did a little experimenting today with the Greyhound motor. I thought I'd try the wire going to the on off switch and it did light up a 6V set of nine LEDs I had. Briefly before burning them out. I've used the same light with a China girl motor, so it isn't or wasn't the light. I did notice a bit of hesitation from the engine when it was lighting the LEDs They were on for just a few seconds. I'm not sure what that means, but am guessing the Greyhound is not a 6V system and gave the LEDs too much voltage. I guess I'm going to need to get a voltage tester to see what it is putting out. So for now this inquiry is getting put on the shelf. Maybe one of you less electronically challenged Greyhounders will figure something out. I may have to go with a sidewall generator and battery pack until somebody smart figures this out. There must be a way.
SB
Hey SB,a member named Skylark has had succes running leds off of the The 4 stroke.I will try to locate the post tonight..you might find it be fore I get to it...good luck.Have you put that chromes tube on a carb. yet?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey SB,a member named Skylark has had succes running leds off of the The 4 stroke.I will try to locate the post tonight..you might find it be fore I get to it...good luck.Have you put that chromes tube on a carb. yet?
Motomagz,
I have the Motorbike build put away now for the winter, so have not yet changed the air cleaner or installed the chrome tube on the carb. Next spring, I imagine. I hope Skylark will weigh in with his discoveries. Have you tried anything with lights powered from the engine yet?
SB