HF Test engine 3

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In trying to get real world and useful data on the Harbor Freight 2.5 HP engine, I have been doing cruel and unusual experiments. Test engine 1 has just been replaced. I do not return these engines as it would be sleazy to ask HF to pay for my edjewmakation.

Test engine 1 was abused in the following ways.

1. Hard start up hills from dead stop to almost WOT with out pedal assist just slow enough as to not stall the engine. Was more to test tranny but useful information for this purpose. Good powerfull "grunt" but needs a good fuel flow and air supply.

2. used 10W 30 oil from break in on. Recommended is 30W

3.over filled and under filled oil.

4. used old/surface rusted chinagirl tank.

Engine still runs but is hard to start and stalls even after cleaning carb. Will tear it down for more information. Oil in exhaust and combustion chamber. Scratched walls and flaky build up on piston head.

Opened Test Engine 3 last night. I will break her in semi following the instructions.

From manual;

"EBreak-in Period
Breaking-in the Engine will help to 1. ensure proper equipment and Engine operation, and will extend the Engine’s lifespan. The warranty is void if the Engine is not broken in properly. The first 20 hours of operation is the break-in period.
During the first 3 hours of use:2.
Do not apply a heavy load to the Engine.
Do not operate the Engine at its maximum speed.
Change the engine oil after the first 3. 20 hours of use.
Under normal operating conditions 4. subsequent maintenance follows the schedule explained in the “Maintenance and Servicing” section."

Will do this with the engine as is and with the OEM muffler, tank and gov. Not sure how to add load and might not. Is a test engine. Can find noting on lighting off and running an engine with no load but have read it is not good. Called HF "For technical questions, please call 1-800-444-3353" To ask about this. Got a recording stating their normal biz hrs and some thing about "It would be verdie kool if you do not kill de kow"

Just found this, so am gonna just run her with no load;

Break-in period is accomplished at any speed above idle and may occur faster if the engine is operated at varying loads and speeds. However, break-in occurs at an acceptable rate if the engine is operated at slightly less than top no-load speed with or without a moderate load. Combustion pressures at this speed are sufficiently high to cause piston rings to conform to the cylinder wall. It is recommended that an engine not be operated continuously at full load during the initial hours of operation. This can lead to permanent deformation of the cylinder bore."

Just read a bunch of "don't break-in under no load" But that was the answer I wanted. So.... Snork, this may turn into "Test engine 4"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Scotto, that's what I was just sayin' to my self. "This is a test. Only a test. Had this been an actual small engine emergency, I would have bought a more expensive one"

20 mins of warm up/break in. Started first pull. (well, after putting switch to the "on" position)

varied between 1800 and 3K RPM. The stock muffler guard has a bad, bad vibration/noise at just under mid throttle with governor. Dunno how the pusher guys deal with it.

Manual states oil capacity is 13.5 OZ. It does but that is more then safe level according to dipstick.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ran engine intermittently for a total of 4 hrs. Between round 1 and 2, remembered to gap the spark plug. The HFs are never rite, right out of the box. Ran much smoother.

Changed the oil. Strained threw a shop paper towel. No chunks but a fair amount of aluminum dust. Oil was filthy and thin