Older Briggs Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I built this bike about 20 years ago on a bet with my friends that I could do it for $100. They all wanted Whizzers but said they cost too much. It has a 5hp Briggs tilted forward a few degrees with welded mounts. Broke all the fins off the flywheel and balanced it. My son made the aluminum cover. Whizzer flex exhaust pipe and rear pulley, moped front brake, controls and seat, 70's Schwinn cantilever frame, Yamaha tank, Cadet speedo, Shelby internal spring forks, belt drive primary and final, slipper clutch and homemade internal compression release for easy pedal starting. The intake is the bend from a ten speed handlebar with flanges on both ends mating up to a stock Briggs float carburetor. No overheating and the splash oil system works well. I Got 1st place "non-whizzer motorized" at the '94 & '95 Whizz-in. It's a blast to ride with speeds over 40mph and great dependability. Lots of miles on it. My friends and I have built several others over the years and there's no two alike. My brother convinced me to print a "How To Motorized That Old Cruiser" book and I must have sold 70 or 80 on ebay. Anyway, thanks for letting me share it with you. It really cost around $250 to complete back then.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Dave31. I said I had a slipper clutch but I changed it a few months ago to a Third Millenium Energy autoclutch they manufactured for the late Whizzers. Works great, pulls hard. It has a sprag (one-way) bearing so I can still pedal start.