10.000km with 3 speedgearbox/hub

GoldenMotor.com

alexander

Feb 25, 2009
new zealand
hi from new zealand, just done 10.000km in 12 month with 60.000 meters (60km) accumulated altitude (thats up only)
on a 31ccm honda gx with a reductionbox and a 3 speed sturmer archer copy (shimano) gearboxbox/hub.... on a 15 year old 'gt rst' (power through chain drive, of course, only way to go...see motorcycle history....don't need to reinvent the wheel....) ....yeeeha ( YEEEEEHAAA). done some epic missions offroad, ride weekly from sealevel to 800 meters above sealevel (middle of summer, middle of day=sorts the 'good setup out from the bad ones'), and do weekly a daily trip of 150km, on top of the rest.... (its my only vehicle at the moment....) the 'second hand 3 speed box' lasted 6500km until the first gear gave up (in the middle of a '6 hour singletrack epic'.... up and down....) and replaced it with parts from another hub. good to know that its not the most used gear (third) that goes first,meaning, one can carry on....(e.g. for expedition use....) anyway, about to create 'mark 2' but can't tell you more until its finished. however, having ridden on an old bmw motorbike to the northern and southern most motorcycle rally on earth..... (norway and nz (but not overland from one to the other, (i planned to do that but the embassy of iran (25 years ago when in war with iraq) stole my passport...) and 10.000km in 2 month on my longest trip....ra ra...., my point being that there is no point hanging around the year 1900 when the 'Bicycles with motor dudes' were about to invent the 2 speed and then the 3 speed gearbox. (do you hear of any 'one speed motorcycle' today?) if you want to go somewhere, anywhere, ' you NEED a gearbox and 3 speed is the minimum (8 speed better, rohloff 14 speed' would be awesome (would only use the 8 top gears on the road....) so boys: 'get at it',
and 'go hard', because: 'one speed sucks'. also: electric bikes.....what can i say.....put it this way: i carry 2 alu bottles with fuel on the bike, which gives me alltogether 2 litres of fuel that lasts 120km and can fuel up 'anywhere' but when you run out of electric juice you are f....kd....you know what i mean.... not even to talk about '2 strokes, having to mix fuel and oil every time you fuel up....and the oil being blown into the air with every stroke..... and noice.... vibration....etc. etc. thats why nobody, but the hardcore extreme offroad mx boys using 2 strokes these days (and road racing GP 250ccm etc. having to change to 4 strokes....) ('stuffed' (same for 'pluck in' cars....)
....ok, ok....more later.... - "Fundamentally, we work to create, and only incidentally do we work to eat" -(Willis Harman and John Hormann)

Attachments

Last edited:

Scotty

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Nice looking bike Alexander.
What kind of reduction drive is hanging off the engine, Is that a worm drive? And you get freewheeling from the hub box mounted high, great. Is it hard to shift for hills having three levers?

That is a much better view than I get riding to work, i'm jealous.
Scotty

Check out my bikes in the photo section - Scotty's Bikes.

alexander

Feb 25, 2009
new zealand
HI SCOTTY, I checked out your beast in 'pictures'. bro, you beat me to it. on to it. the center of gravity is not quite like it could be (i am trying to work that out for my 'mark 2' at the moment, not easy, as you surely know....), but hey, thats more like what we are talking about: '21 century style'. 'motor' to the top of your favoured mtb/downhill or singletrack and then hammer it down (motor turned off):no uplift needed and getting way more runs in than the others etc, etc etc., yeehaa. now thats what we call 'freeriding'. yes my 'BMOTO 1' is freeweeling: 'either way'. i shift the 3 speedbox/hub with the handlebar frontderailer shifter (the frontderailer that isn't used that often i shift with a seperate shifter mounted on the frame), just like a motorbike except handshift, shifting for hills is easy, 'prethink' for what is coming up on the frontderailer like you do on any other mtb, and select the sprockets on the back as you go, just like mtb and when the gearbox needs shifting its just like on a motorbike: easy.throttle from a motorbike with 'crampbuster' (to ease the right hand). that reductionbox is a wormdrive. -----"A problem well-defined is half-solved".-John Dewey

Last edited:

frictiondrive

Jun 24, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Alexander,
Do you know what the worm drive box was originally use on, and did it come married to the Honda engine? Nice bike! I've often wondered how well the 3+ speed hubs would stand up to engine torque and impulses. Like you said, gear boxes are the way to go, but there are so few available that don't weigh a ton. How well has the engine held up over all that distance?

Happy riding,
Cris

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Alexander, Welcome. Very Interesting Build. It Looks Like Your Dual Suspension Also Works I Have 2 Of The Honda 31cc Engines. I Put One On A Friction Drive Last Month. Was Disapointed With The Power It Has, Have Been Using 49cc 2 Strokes. I Just Assembled A Cvt Belt Drive Last Month, Very Very Pleased With It, I Now Have A 52cc On The Cvt Belt System. I Would Like To Try The Honda 31cc On The Cvt Belt Drive And Use The Proper Ratio On The Chain For The Little Engine To Get The Rpm Needed For Its Torque Band. Your Post Is Very Interesting. It Would Be Nice To See Close Up Pics Of Your Ingenious Build. I Hope To Buy A Titan 50cc 4 Stroke Soon For My Cvt Belt Drive. Thanks For Sharing With Us. Ron PS, I HAVE A FREEWHEEL BEARING ON THE AXLE SPROCKET, THAT DOUBLES THE FUN.

Attachments

Last edited: