clutch always engaged

GoldenMotor.com

Lucky420

Sep 8, 2009
spokane, WA
just finished install on grubby gt5 kit. thr problem is that the clutch is always engaged. The swing arm works when lever is pulled. The pin inside the drive sprocket gets pushed in like it should. removed cover opposite side of motor. the silver clutch plate gets pushed out away from the larger of the 2 gears like it should and the thing is still engaged. its still engaged with the silver clutch plate completely removed and no friction or pressure on the larger gear whatsoever. I'm having trouble disasempling the clutch any further than this, I'm not a small engine mechanic. some steps maybe on how to disasemble the clutch would be greatly appriciated. zpt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
After months of clutch tinkering, I just leave it engaged. I installed a small front sprocket to make clutchless cranking easier. I kill the motor when I have to stop and refire it when I go. The air stays cleaner since I never idle the engine.
There is an answer out there, but that is how I stay on the road.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try this. Remove the clutch actuator cover, left side, exposing the sprocket and the protruding pin. Give the pin a good sharp rap with a hammer. Don't beat it to death but give it a couple of sharp blows. The clutch pads are sometimes stuck from the factory and even with the lever moved as far as it will go the pads won't release. Make sure the ball bearing that rides behind the pin is there and lube all those parts before reassembly. get back to us if this doesn't work.
Tom

Lucky420

Sep 8, 2009
spokane, WA
guys thank you, I realy appriciate the help. turns out the 10t sprocket nut was assembled so tightly it froze the entire assembly. just like over tightening a couple hub nuts, it freezes the bearings and the wheel won't spin.usflg

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Now that is wierd! The bearings are semi-sealed ball bearing assemblies. If the nut were tightened to the point of death, the only part of the bearing squeezed would be the inner race. It could really care less, wouldn't feel a thing.

Lucky420

Sep 8, 2009
spokane, WA
all I know is I had the clutch plate completely off and the thing was still engaged. when I loosened the nut holding the drive sprocket (on the other side of the motor) a 1/4 turn at most, the large gear with the clutch pads on it popped free and was able to spin freely from the center assembly for the first time, reassembled everything bike works perfectly.

dance1

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well.... Then I would have to say job well done! :)
I know that ultimate quality control does not play much into these little engines, and perhaps you have delt with a unique issue?

dukeboy87

Sep 5, 2009
KY
my clutch pin at the sprocket won't push in at all. tried hitting with a hammer and still nothing any ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
my clutch pin at the sprocket won't push in at all. tried hitting with a hammer and still nothing any ideas?
You will not be able to push that pin in by hand. The spring you're trying to compress is too strong for that. It requires the mechanical advantage of the clutch actuator cam/arm/cable. You didn't say what your problem is or why you're trying to push the pin in. If your clutch pads are stuck the hammer method usually works. The gentleman who started this thread probably just relieved enough presure by loosening the sprocket but it was not a tight bearing issue. The clutch pads (pucks) simply broke loose when he loosened the sprocket. I hope he retightened it before he tried to ride his bike.
Tom

Lucky420

Sep 8, 2009
spokane, WA
I've found exactly what you need right here

Animated view of the HT Clutch Assembly and countershaft

I found it under Classic Instructions for Building and Repairing Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits on the home page. I hope this helps\

..wee.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
my grubee did that too. i took off the flower nut and still could not roll the bike, as i was using the puller tool to remove the clutch, after just a small turn something popped and the clutch freed up and worked right.

tdaddydolla

Aug 30, 2009
65804, U S
I think i also have same problem; my clutch lever does not releast the sprocket in the engine... no free ride, only gas ride. i tried to pop it with hammer. is it maybe just too tight? if so which side should i loosen spocket? maybe i tightened it by mistake;.. when i attached chain turning engine sproket counter clock first, then scared and then loaded chain by turning clock wise. i think it tightened (sprocket) alot and think thats good but may be why no nuetral?????

Nill

Sep 16, 2009
Maine
My problem was solved by tightening the clutch cable more. That allowed me to engane and disengage it properly.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
that did not resolve my problem
It could be the spring is too tight. Norman shows how to tighten All you have to do differently is turn the chain sprocket the other way, top to the left, with channel lock pliers, to loose the spring instead of tightening it.
Or if that does not work, Follow Norman's tutorial and take you clutch apart. See if you can find anything wrong.

tdaddydolla

Aug 30, 2009
65804, U S
thank you ,..,., all you folks on here who gave me advice; i just unloosened the nuts on the chain crank and clutch plate and tightened appropriate and bam?!?!?!! i'm good.... just need a bigger gas tank, finish break in, add double kick stand and maybe seat extension and sissy bar for possuible girls i pick up.