031av stihl mounting

GoldenMotor.com

olgraybeard

Sep 4, 2009
Eatonville, Wa
mounting a chainsaw to a bike frame, to have the rotation going the right way, the clutch side of the engine has to be on the bike chain side of the frame is that a problem if I want to retain the petals on the bike for backup or do I have to go to a jack shaft or do away with the recoil start and put a clutch on that side. Also in the 60's-70's they used to use chainsaw engines on go carts are those clutches still available (smaller shaft size). I new so be gentile. oh and after more reading and checking out the bike I'm back to a chain drive.

Last edited:

olgraybeard

Sep 4, 2009
Eatonville, Wa
no i want to make a chain drive work. I was thinking if I leave one gear off the 10 speed I will have enough room for a sprocket for the chainsaw. what size chains do these bikes run on the motor side do the ones the clamp the spokes use the same size as the ones that clamp the hubs also I'm looking for a sprocket I can weld to the clutch basket if I can't find a go cart clutch, I want to make sure I get the right chain size. From the info I've seen so far most people are running a 10 tooth but I haven't read what what chain size.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i remember back when i was a teenager a guy down the road from me had a chainsaw bike im pretty sure he used one of the gears from the bicycles cassette inside the saw. best thing to do would be to gather some parts and rip stuff apart.... im thinking if you can get a bicycle chainring into the saw you could run a second chain to the cassette and still be able to pedal :) good lucK!

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I'm not sure how your magneto system works, but usually if you turn the magnet around you can run 2-strokes backwards.