New member needs help w/ 48cc 4-stroke (chinese)

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'd go ahead and replace the plug...it's only a few bucks

I'm guessing this is electric start? The red is ignition on/off and yellow button should be to engage the starter.

I soak my air filter in a coffee can with dish soap...works great. I'd try to straighten the air filter as best you can....I've seen worse. And yes if you have the K&N filter cleaning kit you can use it with that filter.

Cant tell how well you cleaned the carb but I circled in red what is most important. I have the same carb, when I have time I will post pics on how to clean it very well if you need me to.
Be sure to remove the float and jet and make sure it's not plugged in their. From the looks of the float it sat with gas in there for a while and a good chance it has gummed up in their

The best way to clean the carb is to take it completey apart and run down to local auto parts store and get a can of parts &carb clean solution(not the spray type) and put it in a cofee can and soak it over night.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Oh, some do have oil filters and some just have a screen that you just wash and re-use...I'm guessing this has a screen.

From the looks of it I think it's a ZheJiang motor...good luck finding a manual!

As long as the intake gasket is not torn you should be able to re-use it. If not you can buy some gasket maker at a local auto parts store and just make one. It will be cheaper and easier then trying to find one for this model.

Last edited:

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
What about the rubber bowl gasket? Can I re-use it if its still in 1 piece?

I sent out an email the other day to ZheJiang Race Motos Co., Ltd in regards to a manual. I got a reply last night..."just send $100 USD to this bank account"...yeah right!

I'll pick up some more carb cleaner tonight...the soaking kind. I'll also try to get some new fuel line, a new fuel filter, and a new spark plug. I might also cruise by the local 4-wheeler/motorcycle shop to see if they have the battery/charger if I have time today.

Are you sure the red switch is for ignition? B/c there is also a keyed switch that is for ignition (it says ignition on it). The yellow electric start button works when the red switch is in either position (I jumped it to my car battery to test).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the gasket is in one piece, you can usually re-use it. Don't get carb cleaner (the soaking kind) on anything rubber! Including O-rings and gaskets.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If the gasket is in one piece, you can usually re-use it. Don't get carb cleaner (the soaking kind) on anything rubber! Including O-rings and gaskets.
Thanks Joe for the reminder (^)

No I am not positive that the red botton is igntion on/off...but it still could be turning the key on may only give you power to the starter, and not turn the ignition on. Or does it have reverse?

Also some of these will come with a governor for younger kids to keep the speed down..it is also possible thats what the red is for. Or it could be a high/low for the transmission.

Last edited:

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
Thanks for the warning, but I have enough general knowledge to know better. I went shopping today, and couldn't find the same type of battery. I'm going to have to order that. Might as well get a new gasket since it only adds $3.30 to the order.

I'm about to remove the jets and float for soaking. How crucial is the depth that the jets are screwed in. I have the feeling I should try to re-install it to the same depth.

Thanks Joe for the reminder (^)

No I am not positive that the red botton is igntion on/off...but it still could be turning the key on may only give you power to the starter, and not turn the ignition on. Or does it have reverse?

Also some of these will come with a governor for younger kids to keep the speed down..it is also possible thats what the red is for. Or it could be a high/low for the transmission.
I think it might be reverse...and perhaps the warning symbol means do not try to start the engine while it's in reverse...just guessing.

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
A few more questions:

1. Motor oil...I want to change it...can I use the Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 that I already have? I also have some John Deer (I think it's 10W-30) oil for mowers/small engines.

2. Approximately how much oil do these engines require?

3. Where do you fill it up at? At the dipstick?

4. Where would I find the 'screen' for the oil, so I can wash it?

5. fairracing31...you say you have the same carb. How did you do the drain hose on the carb? If I just use 8" or so of tubing, and use zip-ties to point it up...won't dirt get in there?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I always have my drain hose to point down, if it was pointed up on yours I would say that is a vent and not a drain hose.

I have never owned one of those motors so I would need to see some good pics to see where to drain and fill. Usually the fill will have a dipstick and you unscrew it and set back down without screwing it back on to check oil level.

The drain usually is on the left lower side of the motor or underneath. And the fill usually is on the right. But who knows what the Chinese have done.

It is possible that thier is no screen, without being familer with this motor I am going by all other ATV/Dirt Bikes I have owned.

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
I always have my drain hose to point down, if it was pointed up on yours I would say that is a vent and not a drain hose.

I have never owned one of those motors so I would need to see some good pics to see where to drain and fill. Usually the fill will have a dipstick and you unscrew it and set back down without screwing it back on to check oil level.

The drain usually is on the left lower side of the motor or underneath. And the fill usually is on the right. But who knows what the Chinese have done.

It is possible that thier is no screen, without being familer with this motor I am going by all other ATV/Dirt Bikes I have owned.

Well the drain hose I had was broken off, so I have no idea which way it goes. I was going by this pic I found online that is the exact same carb I have.

It sounds like I just need to have it go down and off to the side a bit. The reason the gas was leaking earlier was most likely due to the drain screw not being tightened all the way.

I'm pretty sure I found the oil drain plug, and if I'm supposed to fill it up at the dipstick location I should be good to go there. So, you check the oil w/o screwing it all the way in? Good to know.

Where does the screen usually lie if there is one?

What about the correct type of oil?

Thanks!

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA
I don't know much but that looks like a copy of the honda xr 50 engine. I've got a couple lying around. The red switch is an engine kill switch. The government requires a kill switch in addition to the key switch on bikes. I could look to see if I have an extra carb that matches yours. If I do I could sell it to you cheap if your interested.

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
I don't know much but that looks like a copy of the honda xr 50 engine. I've got a couple lying around. The red switch is an engine kill switch. The government requires a kill switch in addition to the key switch on bikes. I could look to see if I have an extra carb that matches yours. If I do I could sell it to you cheap if your interested.
Thanks for the info. I've already invested more money than I wanted to to get this carb cleaned up. I'm going to try to get it working, but if not, I'll probably take you up on your offer.

Do you have an extra air filter that's in good shape? I also could use some extra fuel line, and a fuel shut-off valve.

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I got the last few pieces I needed yesterday in the mail.

I've completely re-built the carb w/ a new float bowl gasket, new fuel line, new fuel filter, and I added a fuel cut-off switch. Cleaned and re-oiled the air filter.

Got a new battery, and a charger.

Changed out the spark plug, and also changed the oil.

Pushed the starter button, and she fired right up! I played around w/ the carb a little, but I need to read up some more. It was getting too late to have the thing running...its loud and I have neighbors.

Stayed up till midnight getting the body back on, and ty-wrapping all the wiring.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the carb dialed in tonight, and take her for a test run. My boy's birthday (he'll be 7) is Monday, but his party is tomorrow. Excellent timing I must say!

jason4207

Dec 8, 2008
Concord, NC
The party was a blast, but I have a new problem. I let my 13yr old brother-in-law ride the thing ragged. Now the air/fuel screw has gone missing.

Is there anybody on here that might have a spare screw and spring?