backroad travel

GoldenMotor.com

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
This really doesn't have anything to do with putting these bikes together, even though I do that. I've been seriously considering riding the GDMBR next year on a motorized mountain bike. It seems like most of the members here go for the street and beach cruisers, but I started putting these kits on mountain bikes. My wife wants to drive. I will be carrying tools and extra parts and gas in a BOB trailer that I will pull. A friend of mine from work just put one together, and he may or may not go with me.
This summer I plan to test the idea by riding sections of the route which goes through this area, and other back roads here in NW Montana. Just wondering what the reaction about this idea I might get here. I realize there will probably be a lot of repairs, as these kits really aren't made for this, but I'm determined to do it.drn2

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
The street and beach cruisers have no appeal to me at all, nor do mountain bikes without at least front suspension.
I have a smallish mountain bike with front suspension that sees mixed terrain and flat road, but I don't go nuts and I don't do jumps and I go slow in rough stuff.
Bringing tools is mandatory.

I have plans for a YouTube vid this season that will show an example of the typical off-road usage I go through.

Stay tuned!

PS, what is GDMBR?

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
I always carry tools, also. I will be taking it easy on the back roads that are bumpy, or full of potholes. Many of the back roads around here are fairly nice if you can find the ones that aren't used much, and the gated ones. That's another gray area, gated roads. I was kind of worried about that, but then I watched a video of dirt bikers that rode the GDMBR and were going on the gated roads. I figure I'll pedal into the gated back roads, then putt along at a nice quiet pace. Where I live, most of these motorized bikes aren't classified as a motor vehicle.
I plan to get a BOB trailer, and haul my own gas, food, tools, and gear on the longer trips. I'll probably get another kit just for spare parts, also. I've learned about breaking down the hard way, and I've gotten pretty good at fixing most of the problems. When doing an adventure like this the main thing is to be prepared. There are back roads around here that really go into the middle of nowhere, serious grizzly and moose country. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt off up there now.

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
The GDMBR is The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route that goes from Antelope Wells, NM, at the Mexico Border, to Rooseville, Mt, on the Canadian border. An extended part was added called the Tour Divide that continues to Banff, Alberta. It is a series of secondary highways, back roads, and jeep trails that was mapped out by avid mountain bikers in the early 2000's. It is raced every year from Banff, to Mexico, and was filmed in a documentary called "Race the Divide". There are maps of it, and it passes right through Columbia Falls, MT, where I live. Here is a tracker map I found, along with some details that you might find interesting.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Y087TFus1L0dLvU1VT_nW5g&bvm=bv.44011176,d.cGE

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had heard of the GDMBR but did not realize it has been completed. I think the Natchez Trace is more my speed these days.