fear of chain locking up

GoldenMotor.com

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
Joe is right, carb size and port size limit how far it will rev and under load it's doubtful you will ever (unless it's down hill) get near it's limitations.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Ive learned in my 2 years of riding these thing if you gas it while your in a corner your chain popping off %age goes way, so I've learned to coast while dipping into a corner and gas on straight aways!! Haven't dropped a chain since. I think there's something to do with the way the rag joint pulls on the spokes makes the front sprocket uneven with the rear sprocket.

I had one drop on me and it just locked up my rear tire I suppose if I had only one hand on the handle bars it could have sent me flying." Since then I never take my hands off while riding NEVER!!"

To avoid this I recommend getting rid of the rag joint rear sprocket set up & get one of those aluminum axle adaptors " Wish I could afford one" I've been through so many rear rims with the rag joint it isn't funny couple that with that adapter /chain tensioner you built and your worries should be gone . However rest assured... a new worry WILL immediately appear in the fixed chains place :)

As far as the tensioner destroying your rear tire. How? Did it pull into the spokes ? If it did. What I did is...I wrapped a piece of rubber inner tube around the chainstay then mounted the hardware a step further you could take a very small drill bit and drill a hole half way through it all then I just snapped the drill bit off inside... "It was actually an accident it broke because i let the drill go off center" I just make it sound like I wanted to do it, so I don't look like the idiot I really am ! Either way it has kept the tensioner from moving for over a year now!... just make sure you line it up before drilling ...

I've also found out the rubber alone can be sufficient enough to keep it from moving I push my tensioner way down as close to the sprocket as I can get it I do this by leaving the poly bearing loose while tapping the entire finger tight tensioner towards the rear sprocket "rubber and all" It slid down nicely, till it is where I need it most of the times the poly bearing the chain rides on is all the way down on the adjustment slot. At that point I tighten it up and off ya go!

P.S. Be safe ride smart & always ride as if the cars do not see you because most of the time they do not!!! & they certainly do not expect us to come up as quickly as we do. this is all stuff I've learned the hard way ..so you don't have to!!!

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Mine jumped off the rear sprocket a few times yesterday. I was doing some wicked turns out in the yard. I had the thing a little sideways in the grass :) I recentered the sprocket on the spokes and it seems to be much better now.

I'm using a spring loaded tensioner. Hopefully I can ditch that whole thing when I get my sprocket adapter mounted. That might be a while since I need to do a bit of extra work to make it fit (funky hub diameter and #41 chain).

What I did to make sure my tensioner won't rotate into the spokes...
I used JB weld (snicker) to lock the bracket to the chainstay. Since the chainstay isn't circulat, and the bracket isn't either, they are effectively locked in place. End result, the tensioner has not budged from it's location.

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn
I welded a chain back together on a bike onetime because I lost the piece to the masterlink, it worked perfectly fine it still hasnt broke.