Columbia Rambler summer project, 1st build

GoldenMotor.com

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
I just finished my first motorbike and have taken the 1st ride, what a blast! I can't wait to spend some time on this thing. I purchased the kit off eBay and just worked on it here and there when I had a few spare minutes.
I started with a 1950's Columbia Rambler that I picked up for $60 at the local flea market. Had I known the difficulties involved in mounting a motor to this type of frame with the curved downtube I may have selected another bike but I'm happy with the results and it seems to be working well so far. I had to extend the rear motor mount which I did by picking up some threaded rod and then figuring out a way to shim the clamp out away from the engine case while still keeping everything rigid.
I picked the seat up at the flea market as well which gives it a real nice vintage look. My plan is to keep making improvements and letting the bike evolve. I think the first change will be a spring loaded chain tensioner and maybe a hub adapter to mount the rear sprocket. Other plans included changing the fuel line over to copper tubing, fabricating a gas tank and adding a front drum brake hub.
Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think! I'm already starting to think about what my next project will be!

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Bike looks great! Get yourself a nice springer for the front and you will notice a much smoother ride. Also, I love the seat! There is a bag available that fits directly inside those large springs on the back. I don't seem to have the link handy right now though, sorry. Excellent work!

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
A springer is definitely on my want list. I want to find an original though because I've heard bad things about the repro's.
I've done a few extended rides in the past couple days, getting things dialed in and just getting more confident riding it. I haven't really ridden bicycles since I was a teenager 25 years ago, granted I was way into it then racing bmx and doing freestyle etc... I'm bringing my bike to a local car show this weekend that has a scooter class so expect some new pics in a couple days.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
its a gorgeous bike only thing i suggest is a left side mirror to see who is coming up behind you i almost got ran over a month ago and the mirror saved me although i did eat the curb and need stitches in my face its better than getting hit by the car and they didnt even stop to see if i was ok

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
Funny you should mention that. After a couple times out with my bike I realized very quickly that a mirror would come in quite handy. There's a guy who sells old NOS bike parts at my local flea market that has some cool old chrome mirrors and I'm definitely going to pick one up this weekend.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Have you ever thought about a set of period correct truss rod set of forks ? you could straighten the forks you have then weld up something like these, if you aren't a good welder you could get someone to do it for you, Dan at Taylar Motorbikes did mine for $100.oo and they're outta site, they sure would look good! on that bike.

Attachments

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
Wow, I dig those forks! I kinda have my heart set on an actual springer though since I would enjoy a softer ride but if I can't find one soon I think I'll break out the welder.

Nice mirror. I like the idea of it fitting into the end of the bars.

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
i like that bike build,very cool great work.the red & white is a good choice makes it stand out.i like the way you mounted the engine..it is fun to cruise around on these motorized bikes.

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
Update: I took my bike to a local car show this past weekend and entered it in the motorcycle/scooter class. I talked with a lot of people about it and they really seemed to enjoy my bike, so much so that when the judging results were in I had won the trophy for the motorcycle class! The whole event was judged by the spectators so I was very flattered that they picked my bike as their favorite. The Harley guys were less than thrilled :)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Congrats! on the trophy My Dad and entered his 1951 Ford Custom Conv. a few weeks ago in a car show and took 2nd over all man was that a good feeling since I had a hand it too, I know you must feel good about the accomplishment Again Congrats!

schwinnfan

Aug 14, 2012
Arizona
Nice job for your first build. Im sure you will be tweaking it over time. It seems no matter what you always want to change things up.

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
My bike has been slowly getting harder to start and not really running right. I figured it was time to investigate and realized that my carb was flopping around loose and ready to fall off. Runs much better when its actually bolted on tight :)

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
A good way to detect leaks in the intake system is to spray starter fluid on the outside of the carb and intake. If the RPM's increase you have a leak. But flopping around is kind of obvious :)