Adding grease zerk for clutch shaft bearings?

GoldenMotor.com

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
I got gas in the clutch case, which then went in the two "sealed" bearings for the clutch/output shaft.

The gas destroyed the grease in these bearings and I was only able to put oil in them.

If I took the bearings out would I be able to grease them?

My idea is to add a grease zerk to shoot grease in the shaft area which would hopefully force grease into the bearings.

Where should I drill the hole for the grease zerk?

If you thing of something that may work better, please chime in.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Actually, that sounds like a good idea with the very small exception that the whole shaft packed with grease may make the bike minutely harder to pedal, engine off.
Look at this-

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the mount for the clutch cable at the base of the engine can be removed and grease shot into the hole which will pack grease into the shaft cavity and will also force grease out through the bearings the draw back is if you over do it grease will build up behind the clutch and can get into the clutch.
you can press out the mainshaft and repack the bearing and reinstall. I show the process in the total engine tear down post.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
Great guys,

Norman, your tear down manual was a big help. I didn't know the clutch cable mount went all the way through. That sounds better than the grease zerk idea.

Grease on the clutch is no biggie, 10 minutes and some brake cleaners.

I'm try to avoid pressing out the bearings. I'll post the results.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
Just saw norman's post about greasing through the hole, I guess I had selective reading on that thread.

My grease gun even screws into the hole a little bit.

Thanks again

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I shot a bunch of chain lube down that hole and the clutch started slipping....I cleaned the pads with brake cleaner and now all is well.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
the mount for the clutch cable at the base of the engine can be removed and grease shot into the hole which will pack grease into the shaft cavity and will also force grease out through the bearings the draw back is if you over do it grease will build up behind the clutch and can get into the clutch.
you can press out the mainshaft and repack the bearing and reinstall. I show the process in the total engine tear down post.
So how many pumps you think would be good before its over done 10 or so??
Just asking cause i don't want to take the covers and clutch apart to see when the grease is coming out :)

Good Times ....