what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

If you try to run a LED straight off the white wire you will blow it out. Now as far as the bulbs go are you sure you had the correct voltage rated bulb for the voltage output of the white wire?
I know for sure I didn't

I had a 3v bulb and a 7.5v bulb

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I know for sure I didn't

I had a 3v bulb and a 7.5v bulb
A 3V bulb will just burn out. A 7.5V will work but not very bright. I've never found a good way to get a good bright headlight off the white wire. You can make it street legal, but if you're trying to get a bright headlight you will probably need to go in a different direction. I quit messing around a long time ago and just run 12V batteries. I run a headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals and horn. The 12V 7.5 amp hr battery lasts more than a week, then I just plug it in to charge overnight.
fatdaddy.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

I think I'll just stick with the battery setup since it's much brighter than anything the engine can put out

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

rolled my bike into the shed,may ride it once more before winter,strained a tendon/pulled the bicep in my right arm,lifting fallen trees off the road.had our first snowstorm of the season,something short of a disaster.

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT

Rode to work yesterday. Came out at the end of the day to a flat rear tire (despite thorn-resistant tube and tire liner). Thought about it for a minute and tried pumping the tire up to see if it was a slow leak. Seemed to hold air, so I gave it a shot and started my 4.5 mile trip home. Stopped about half way and pumped it up again. Made it! (not much air to spare). Oh, and it's friction drive!

mexican

Oct 6, 2012
Tulsa

Installed my honda friction kit on a test bike today, hope it runs!!!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

VIKTR, Good idea.

Tooljunkie, Sorry to hear it, hope yer feeling better soon. I live in California so there are still a lot of sunny days in winter. If the suns shining, I'm riding.

Noisydad, Poo Poo happens. Glad yer baby got you home safe.

Mexican, Good Luck.
Fatdaddy.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Well I bought (ordered) my pulleys for the primary drive on my bike finally and worked out the sizes needed. The one coming off my output shaft will be a 2.3" which will go to a 4.45" pulley on the jack shaft. This will give me a jack shaft speed of 1808.98 RPMs from an engine speed of 3500 RPMs. Here is the formula I used to get these figures:

RPM1 = RPM of Driver
RPM2 = RPM of Driven
D1 = Diameter or tooth count of Driver
D2 = Diameter or tooth count of Driven

RPM1 * D1 / D2 = RPM2
3500 * 2.3 / 4.45 = 1808.98 RPMs

1808.98 * 14t / 40t = 633.14 RPMs going to a 24" wheel.

Then I used the Gear Ratio Calculator program that has been listed on this forum before to get my final output of 5.53:1 with a top speed of 45.2 MPH. Now I don't really think I will get that top speed, but it would be great if I could.

Attachments

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Well I bought (ordered) my pulleys for the primary drive on my bike finally and worked out the sizes needed. The one coming off my output shaft will be a 2.3" which will go to a 4.45" pulley on the jack shaft. This will give me a jack shaft speed of 1808.98 RPMs from an engine speed of 3500 RPMs. Here is the formula I used to get these figures:

RPM1 = RPM of Driver
RPM2 = RPM of Driven
D1 = Diameter or tooth count of Driver
D2 = Diameter or tooth count of Driven

RPM1 * D1 / D2 = RPM2
3500 * 2.3 / 4.45 = 1808.98 RPMs

1808.98 * 14t / 40t = 633.14 RPMs going to a 24" wheel.

Then I used the Gear Ratio Calculator program that has been listed on this forum before to get my final output of 5.53:1 with a top speed of 45.2 MPH. Now I don't really think I will get that top speed, but it would be great if I could.
45 (.2) mph would be great. But if ya just get 40mph out of it, thats plenty fast enough for a bicycle, dont'cha think? 35 or so is fast enough for me, (and I'm just a little crazy.) Good luck with it anyway.
fatdaddy..duh.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

45 (.2) mph would be great. But if ya just get 40mph out of it, thats plenty fast enough for a bicycle, dont'cha think? 35 or so is fast enough for me, (and I'm just a little crazy.) Good luck with it anyway.
fatdaddy..duh.
The way I figure it 35 will be a good speed to be able to hit with out having to over rev the engine to do it. That gives me room for losses in slippage and other factors not taken into the calculations.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Yeah drac, there's always something ya didn't plan for. Like total weight, (you and the bike,) what type of tire yer running, fuel AND mix ratio, plug and wire, ect. Any little thing can affect maximum output. I leave mine slightly "de-tuned" on purpose. Otherwise I would blow it in no time running WOT like I always do.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose

Installed an Avid BB5 front disc brake kit. Best upgrade so far besides the motor lol. Homemade prototype bracket painted and installed...

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Got tired of waiting for the registration/ license plate to come in the mail... went for a little ride.

At the bottom

Going up

At the top

She may be old, but she gets the job done :)

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

Got tired of waiting for the registration/ license plate to come in the mail... went for a little ride.

At the bottom

Going up

At the top

She may be old, but she gets the job done :)
I've been over there many a time on my pit bike, never on my engine bike though, that's definately a fun place to ride

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Installed my new front wheel.

It is a 26" Worksman with a drum brake. I'm still not sure how to use the strap in the 4th picture to keep the brake arm from moving. Notice the boss is making sure it get all done right.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Installed my new front wheel.

It is a 26" Worksman with a drum brake. I'm still not sure how to use the strap in the 4th picture to keep the brake arm from moving. Notice the boss is making sure it get all done right.
LOL Draco, me either. I think it may be a part for a bike that they sell that works with the stop. But really dunno.

Really love the Worksman wheels! You will be happy with it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

That strap is a generic "fits all" one for anchoring the arm on a coaster brake rear hub. It will work fine for the drum brake too. Just remember that the arm will want to swing forward when you apply the brake.
My idea FWIW: Have one end of the strap wrapped around the fork leg, squeezed tight with a bolt, and the other, loose end, of the strap pointing forward and anchored to the drum arm with another bolt.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I did quite a bit today. Re-wired my headlight switch, installed a Puch hi hi head, put my saddlebag back on, installed a side safety light, installed a sited fuel gauge, and painted my rims black. Yesterday I adjusted my shock forks because there was quite a bit of slop in them. Took care of it pretty good though. Tomorrow I need to hook my front brake cable back up and adjust my fuel mixture. Then its time for a test ride to see what the hi hi head does.