throttle cable too long

GoldenMotor.com

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I put me bike together and found the cables that came with it we'er junk so I went to sports chalet and they sold me shumomo cables ,the work great all except the throttle cable it has a cast end on both ends and is too long for my bike does anyone have a fix or a source for this delemma?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Norman has a video but i can't find it now.

what i did, was;

before you cut anything, measure how long the cable is from the throttle nub to the housing. you need to get this close, or you won't be able to adjust it properly.

next, cut the cable and the housing down to the size you want. put the cable back in the housing before you make the end, or else it won't fit back in.

to make the end, take a strand of the cut off cable and wrap it around where you want the new nub to be. wrap it as tight as you can, and you just need a piece a little smaller than the nub.

now, you need silver solder (regular solder won't work,) flux, and a torch.

dip the cable in the flux, fire it up with the torch, and solder over your wrapped end.

when you've got a nice little ball, dip it in some water, then pull on it as hard as you can to make sure it ain't coming off. if it fails, it's falling into your carb and into your motor. then it's all over for you.

grind or file away some if it's too big, then reassemble.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Another tip - before attempting to feed the cut cable back into the housing, you'll wanna be sure a strand won't snag and fray. If it's a clean cut often all you'll need to do is gently rotate the cable in the same direction the strands are wrapped - but I find that a lil chunk of shrinkwrap (normally used for electrical connections so I've a bunch anyway) is just the ticket to keep the strands from catching on the cable housing and destroying it.

I've also used a wrap of masking tape (ofc degreaseing is needful) and no doubt a light touch of solder is the best way - but I'm open to other suggestions lol

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
thanks for the silver solder tip I was'nt sure about a materail to use, now I have to find a spare cable to use (don't want to put my ride out of action just for a little mod) I heat and solder cable tips to feed through housings any way thanks Bob

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
when my throttle cable broke at the handle bar twist throttle part, i shortened the cable,and switched the twist throttle for a brake lever and put a new end on the lever end.