muffler

GoldenMotor.com

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, my first build is going great. However...here is my problem. First the motor mounts (outside) broke while I was mounting the motor, so I had to improvise with some metal clamps. Next I found I did not have enough clearence for my muffler from the pedals. The first thought was to find a longer spindle, but I have one of the longest I can find, and the only one that I can find that is longer only gives me a few millimeters more clearence, not enough. Next, I figured I can just heat up the muffler using a welding torch, and bend it a few degrees. That should work, except I don't have a welding torch or anything else I can use to heat up the metal. Querry: Is there anyplace you guys know of (Midas, Meineke, etc.) I can take this muffler and have them bend it for me?.kick2.

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
if you get the bike started and running it will heat up the header just take your foot (with a shoe on) and bend it should be ok

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You can clamp the muffler flange in a vise and use a propane torch to heat the pipe and bend it. Ace hardware sells the torches and 6mm "all thread" that you can cut to length and use as studs for your motor mounts and manifold attachments. Most auto muffler shops probably won't deal with a pipe that small

My favorite self quote from my first builds is: "6 hour install....my fuzzy butt!!!!!!"

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I just heated it red hot with a blow torch and bent it with a pair of monkey wrenches.
I wouldn't try to bend it while connected to the bike, you may break the studs or something. That idea is full of a lot of fail...

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
if you get the bike started and running it will heat up the header just take your foot (with a shoe on) and bend it should be ok
DO NOT TRY THIS!

You will break the aluminum barrell where the exhaust studs screw in

Bend the exhaust off the bike using a vise
Bolt the manfold flange to something sturdy and clamp that into a vise
Then heat and bend

Small bends can be made cold

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
well ive built 32 bikes and about 15 out of those the muffler had to be bent and thats how i did it and its always worked fine so dont take my advice thats fine somtimes you gotta take chances

Ocean7

Jun 9, 2009
USA
I had a similar muffler clearance problem when I mounted my engine. What I did was I mounted the engine slightly rotated outwards to the side (the top of the engine would move out by 1 or 2 degrees towards your left leg if you were sitting on the bike) which brought the muffler inwards, closer to the frame giving clearance for the peddles. Made sure I corrected the level of the carburetor again so that it sat level again. Not sure how much more clearance you are needing, but it seemed to work well for me.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If you can't get it hot enough with a propane torch just buy a Mapp gas bottle for your propane torch. You can get it yellow hot and bend it easy then. I just had the same problem with a cruiser build, I just straightened out the curve a few degrees and painted the pipe header black. I'm with Forbisher do not bend it attached to the motor.