New member, Gary in DFW area TX

GoldenMotor.com

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Hey Guys (and girls) I have to say that this is a great site. I have just finished building 2 MBs for my girlfriend and I and, I just ordered 4 more engines...so I guess I am hooked...I love it! Can't get enough of it!

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Hey, Whats up Doc? That sounds like the voice of experience talking.
Yeah, the girlfriend originally wanted her own motorcycle after riding behind me on my old Kawasaki GPz 750, the motorized bicycles are a nice comprimise!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome Smitty. Wow. you jumped right in. Is addicting. The only thing better then a MB is the one your planning next.

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Hey Dan, you got that right, I have engines on the way and am shopping for bikes on craigslist. I just saw an "Autobike" it has a centrifugal gear changing mechanism that supposedly moves the derailleur to smaller gears the faster you go...you ever heared of such a thing? I cant tell much from the photo...sounds like a cool concept though.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Pablo has one of those automatics in his back yard. We thought about putting and engine and a shift kit on it but didn't trust the shifting mechanism when driven by the engine. Automatic sounds neat but I like to control when and how I shift.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Smitty, ya got me thinking about it and wow. Now I want one. Googled it and would seem to be a perfect choice for a MB. Gonna look for a used one. Thanx!

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Hellow Smittyman and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are already up to your ears in motorbicycling. I ride Harleys also, but enjoy motorbicyclying a lot more.

Have fun and enjoy the forum.

oldcliff

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone!
Hey Dan, I would think that with a SBP jackshaft kit you would have a MB with an automatic transmission....low gears at slow speed...high gears at top-end...no manual shifting required.
It sounds cool, if it would work.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Welcome Smitty! The first step is admitting your addiction.
Well done.
The next step is to ride as often as possible, especially with your girlfriend along.
OK
The next step is to acquire as many bikes and engines as possible.
Check.
The next step is tinker, modify and invent.
Check
That about covers it.

Welcome!
from Tucson :D

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Thats funny WEEDYLOT...
Hi everyone...my name is Smitty...I am addicted to motorbicycling! LOL
when I smoked I used to always carry a lighter in my pocket...
....now I carry a 10mm wrench!!! :)

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Hey Ghosto, thanks for the input...I have never seen an 'Autobike', but I guess if you guys at SBP have decided against trying it...that is good enough for me! I did a little research and it looks like the shifting is kinda wierd on those bikes. I value your experience and opinion. Thanks Smitty.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
anybody remember the ALLSPORT three wheelers. They used two tork converters and belt drive. The faster you rev, the front expanded and the rear collasped making it a smooth constant gear change.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I've never seen an Allsport drive, but it sounds like the drive on mu Shopsmith. However the Shopsmith changes speed when you crank ine side bigger or smaller. The other pulley is spring loaded and follows th opposite belt dia of the first belt. Is the Allsport small enough to use on a motorized bicycle?

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
that shopsmith sounds like the same drive. The pulleys get bigger or smaller as the force is applied. They outlawed the alsport because they were three wheelers, was made in Ohio

smittyman

Jan 14, 2009
Lillian, TX
Oh ...Neat times (Ron) I feel your pain brother, you sound like my kinda guy though. I have never seen a bike that I did'nt like, never seen a motor that I could'nt use....but....You...My friend...are obsessive, compulsive and you have a terrible addiction....step away from the bicycles and keep your hands where I can see them!!!
I like your style! Your brother, Smitty.