what are you waiting for in the mail ?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Just ordered a Gopro hero 3+ Silver edition camera. Should come in handy for some bike rides but its main gig will be for my yearly snorkeling outings. Sold my white edition to cover most of the cost, cant wait!
I've been wanting a GoPro set up for months, but starting at $350 it was hard to justify for the little bit I want/know I'll use it for. I did find a similar unit (lower specs, no wifi/bluetooth) at the "Showcase/As Seen On TV" store, for $60. It's an 'Emerson ActionCam HD' (link is for US site, click here for Canadian site). They were out of stock on the 8GB MicroSD cards, but they credited me for one and will call when they come in. Not like those are expensive or hard to find, so I have one that'll carry me until thiers comes in.

I have no doubt the GoPro is a better unit. It's specs are nicer, better pic etc and where the Emerson is water resistant to perhaps 10 feet, for snorkelling you're better off with the GoPro's 130+ feet depth rating.
I'm hoping to get out and play with it a little later, we'll see what the weather's doing when I finish my morning caffeine. ;)

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
I've been wanting a GoPro set up for months, but starting at $350 it was hard to justify for the little bit I want/know I'll use it for. I did find a similar unit (lower specs, no wifi/bluetooth) at the "Showcase/As Seen On TV" store, for $60. It's an 'Emerson ActionCam HD' (link is for US site, click here for Canadian site). They were out of stock on the 8GB MicroSD cards, but they credited me for one and will call when they come in. Not like those are expensive or hard to find, so I have one that'll carry me until thiers comes in.

I have no doubt the GoPro is a better unit. It's specs are nicer, better pic etc and where the Emerson is water resistant to perhaps 10 feet, for snorkelling you're better off with the GoPro's 130+ feet depth rating.
I'm hoping to get out and play with it a little later, we'll see what the weather's doing when I finish my morning caffeine. ;)
nice i think im gonna get me 1 them cameras too :) been wanting a go pro for a while n that is something i can afford

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
nice i think im gonna get me 1 them cameras too :) been wanting a go pro for a while n that is something i can afford
Well, again the GoPro is without a doubt a superior device. The ability to link it via blue-tooth to your phone to see what it sees would be helpful.

So far I've found that the camera makes an '.avi' file that's a little.. odd. DIVX, Windows Media Player and AVS video editor don't like it but Quicktime does. I ran it through a converter and then loaded it in to AVS to edit the video and it worked. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/rOhrtoBrjcU.
The camera is on the front of my helmet, but is tilted too far back. Not bad for the first try, just got to work the position out.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming

They are expensive imo. Ive got a couple hobbies and one is photography, its actually the hobby Ive had for the longest time about 35 years. Friends kid me about my heritage and that I always have a camera with me lol.

Anyways. Ive been through a couple waterproof cameras in the last 4 years, they've gone south on me and I think this will hold up better. You give up things like zoom and flash etc but they have quite the product.

I wouldn't have made the move but I caught them on sale and saved 60 bucks. Nearly the price of the white.

My bass player has a less expensive gopro style camera, I asked him the brand but he didn't remember, Ill have to ask again and get his review on it.

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Here's the video: http://youtu.be/rOhrtoBrjcU.
The camera is on the front of my helmet, but is tilted too far back. Not bad for the first try, just got to work the position out.
Just checked out your video and Im very interested in seeing your next video. Two things are a bummer about this video, the angle of the shot being to high as we mostly see sky lol but the other reason is worse. The camera is locked onto the sky causing everything else to turn be dark. When you lower the angle the darker images will lighten up and I think youll have a pretty fine video.

Dan.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Just checked out your video and Im very interested in seeing your next video. Two things are a bummer about this video, the angle of the shot being to high as we mostly see sky lol but the other reason is worse. The camera is locked onto the sky causing everything else to turn be dark. When you lower the angle the darker images will lighten up and I think youll have a pretty fine video.

Dan.
Yeah, my fault for not spending an hour twiddling the position up and down and checking it... I just fastened it on and went for the ride. Heh, it looked good before I put the helmet on. ;) I'll play with it some more, start experimenting to try and get the angle right. That vid was shot at the 640x480 setting, I'll try the 'HD' 1280x720 soon.

Oh yeah, and I realised after the ride that I must have brushed my choke lever, it was only open half way (or half closed, I s'pose) for that run.

I should note that when I tried it on the handlebars I got that electronic interference that comes from the mag/CDI, making the screen ripple and do wierd things in response to the throttle. Anyone have ideas for reducing that?

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
Well, again the GoPro is without a doubt a superior device. The ability to link it via blue-tooth to your phone to see what it sees would be helpful.

So far I've found that the camera makes an '.avi' file that's a little.. odd. DIVX, Windows Media Player and AVS video editor don't like it but Quicktime does. I ran it through a converter and then loaded it in to AVS to edit the video and it worked. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/rOhrtoBrjcU.
for playing them avi files best to use i find VLC media player works awesome it has pretty much every codec for video you will need

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
for playing them avi files best to use i find VLC media player works awesome it has pretty much every codec for video you will need
VLC & KMP are pretty much the best, most versatile, free players around - I prefer KMP, but the differences are admittedly minor (also includes all significant codecs except FLAC lossless audio);

http://www.kmpmedia.net/

.avi is a very commonplace standard definition format, not the greatest of quality and more then a little outdated (early 1990s?) but very easy to work with, you shouldn't have any problems playing it on anything, with anything as it's codecs packaged w/every general player/editor I'm aware of.

H.264/MPEG-4 are now the industry standards for HD encoding & compression, if you can make the switch I'd strongly recommend it ;)

Last edited:

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
VLC & KMP are pretty much the best, most versatile, free players around - I prefer KMP, but the differences are admittedly minor (also includes all significant codecs except FLAC lossless audio);

http://www.kmpmedia.net/

never heard of the kmp media player i will check it out :) although for all my music i use winamp and for movies i usually just use XBMC

.avi is a very commonplace standard definition format, not the greatest of quality and more then a little outdated (early 1990s?) but very easy to work with, you shouldn't have any problems playing it on anything, with anything as it's codecs packaged w/every general player/editor I'm aware of.

H.264/MPEG-4 are now the industry standards for HD encoding & compression, if you can make the switch I'd strongly recommend it ;)

never heard of the kmp media player i will check it out :) although for all my music i use winamp and for movies i usually just use XBMC

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I just ordered an RSE Reed Valve kit for my cruiser, from JNMotors. Hopefully they are actually in stock, seems anyone else who carries them is out, unless I want to pay more plus shipping from Australia.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
1)-I'm want stuff I need for work.
2)- Another PHBG RACING CARBY BOWL
3)- Another PHBG RACING #40 SLIDE
4)- Another STOP CHAIN JUMP
All this will going on the the NEW PROTOTYPE ONE OF A KIND FOR NOW HIGHEST END
FRED MOTOR.
All I can say about it is this will probably SCARE THE CHIT OUT ME.
LMAO
laff

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Sadly, my next project isn't bike related.....
Fun times. Been there, done that on my old Chev wagon. Had to go buy a nut splitter and a new socket, the 15MM socket I was using to try and loosen the top nut actually split up the side rather than loosen the nut. Once off, I basically jacked the car up and it lifted right off the strut/shock. Meanwhile the landlord I had at the time was standing there telling me he'd go get a 2x4 and we would just 'lever it in' (just be ready to jump when it snaps the 2x4 he said).. I opted to ignore him and do it the way I had been. Worked out okay.