Not the hobby for me... :(

GoldenMotor.com

mattimuss

Jun 3, 2013
San Diego
I was eager to start building my 49cc Schwinn Drifter to ride back and fourth to work which I did finish building thanks to the help of this forum. However, for some reason I didn't take on the hobby/mode of transportation like I thought I would. I think the lack of garage made it harder for me to have fun tinkering with this project. I wasn't a very active member here except for learning a lot on this forum. Thank you all again!!! Therefore according to forum rules I am not allowed to sell on the swap thread. I am not sure where to turn to sell, Craigslist has too many spammers and don't really have the friends that are interested. Advice would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers .duh.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Craigslist has too many spammers and don't really have the friends that are interested. Advice would greatly be appreciated.
I don't know where you are located but it isn't a great time to sell a motorized bike even in California.

Craigslist is the best place to sell.

There are no spammers if you put your phone number in the posting.

Spammers only email so if you don't give them that option you won't get any.

Never had a spammer call me on the phone and I have sold a Lot of stuff on CL even shipping it all over the country.

Make 5 posts here and you can post in swap and shop

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Find a local college that has a message bulletin board and just pin up a flyer. Surely one of the students can talk dear old dad into 'buying them economical transportation'..

Good luck!!

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
I was eager to start building my 49cc Schwinn Drifter to ride back and fourth to work which I did finish building thanks to the help of this forum. However, for some reason I didn't take on the hobby/mode of transportation like I thought I would. I think the lack of garage made it harder for me to have fun tinkering with this project. I wasn't a very active member here except for learning a lot on this forum. Thank you all again!!! Therefore according to forum rules I am not allowed to sell on the swap thread. I am not sure where to turn to sell, Craigslist has too many spammers and don't really have the friends that are interested. Advice would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers .duh.
Where in San Diego are you located? I might be willing to buy your bike if you live in my area.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
craigslist is the easiest way to go, but it's not true what neil said about spammers.

i always put my phone number, and for me, any time i list something over 500 bucks, i get text messages from idiots trying to rip me off.

they're easy to spot. they always ask if "the item is still available," without mentioning what that item actually is, and "what is your asking price?"

a normal person would ask about the bike and not sound like a robot. i usually ignore them, or string them along just for fun...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm curious, bairdco. If these bots are texting you asking of 'the item is still available', then what's their angle? If you didn't know who you were dealing with and took their bait, then what would their mechanism for ripping you off be?

Would they ask you to send the item and then give some variation on 'the check's in the mail'?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
craigslist is the easiest way to go, but it's not true what neil said about spammers.

i always put my phone number, and for me, any time i list something over 500 bucks, i get text messages from idiots trying to rip me off.

they're easy to spot. they always ask if "the item is still available," without mentioning what that item actually is, and "what is your asking price?"

a normal person would ask about the bike and not sound like a robot. i usually ignore them, or string them along just for fun...
You miss my point,
yes, a phone # can be texted but I just reply and ask them to call me and if they don't it's no deal. :)

Never had a spammer / scammer talk to me on the phone.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm curious, bairdco. If these bots are texting you asking of 'the item is still available', then what's their angle? If you didn't know who you were dealing with and took their bait, then what would their mechanism for ripping you off be?

Would they ask you to send the item and then give some variation on 'the check's in the mail'?
The usual ploy is to mail you a fake check or money order with a stolen UPS account in an overnight envelope for more than what the item is selling for because the extra money is to pay their "shipper" who will be coming to pick it up or some other silly story.

Then they get the "stupid" to mail back the "extra" money to their shipper by
Western Union and then the bank bounces the phony check a few weeks later..........

I have a few of these bad looking checks and one very good looking USPS money order that is missing the watermark.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
so off topic:

thats exactly what they will do. they will ask to send you a money order and send the extra back. also. a bot may have sent the first message or two.. but once your reply an actual person knowns and jumps in.

You miss my point,
yes, a phone # can be texted but I just reply and ask them to call me and if they don't it's no deal. :)

Never had a spammer / scammer talk to me on the phone.
i had scammers calling/texting me about my motorhome i had for sale. wasnt it wicked annoying. the people calling me were from this "company"
that was a 3rd party buyer/seller. called me once a day for like 2 weeks!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just send a PM to Hawaii_87 a member of this forum whom also lives in San Diego and has been hounding me for Huasheng 49cc engines and such. Tell him scotto- sent you ;)

If he doesn't buy it, he knows someone who will. Also mention that everyone in San Diego is ready to ride in this 80 degree sunny January weather......he'll know what you're talking about!

.wee.