New Build (raw engine)

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Thanks Jim - Well Ive been running the bike for a few days and all is well so far. I am disappointed that the bike still has a high level of vibration, I guess that there is no way to stop a bicycle with a motor from shaking the nuts and bolts off. I have the green moon dog, it still is the smoothest running. I wanted to make up one of these mounts for the Schwinn thinking that it would help with the shakes, but no. I am going to try a top motor mount, all the motorcycle engines I have, have three motor mounts. Have fun, Dave

PS I welded the chain guide so no more spoke grabs. .weld

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Dave,

Hello!

The motor mounts I did for my latest build worked great! Vibration free!!!

I know they aren't practical for replication at home!

I'm going to go "shopping" for the next build, and see if I can find common, "off-the-shelf", items that will make installing an engine kit easier/better.

Jim

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
Jim, You do good work, but I don't think I could come close to forming those radii to match the bike frame unless I used pure aluminum and using it as a material be pretty weak as an engine mount. If you would be kind enough to go into greater detail I/we sure would appreciate it.

Wait a second. I think I just saw a solution to make it simpler. I'll make a sketch and post it soon. Thanks

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, You do good work, but I don't think I could come close to forming those radii to match the bike frame unless I used pure aluminum and using it as a material be pretty weak as an engine mount. If you would be kind enough to go into greater detail I/we sure would appreciate it.

Wait a second. I think I just saw a solution to make it simpler. I'll make a sketch and post it soon. Thanks
The engine mounts were machined from readily available 6061-T6 Aluminum. The closest thing to mill pure Aluminum is 3000 series, and it is extremely gummy and not intended to be machined. You will not be able to make these mounts with hand tools.

Jim

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
Jim, I modified your idea a bit. Flipped the clamps around and did away with forming-to-contour to match the bike frame. I'll prototype it in a soft aluminum and then try to bend it in steel. What to you think? Do you have a sheet metal break. If I send you a clean drawing would you fab it? I'll be ordering another shift kit from you soon.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, I modified your idea a bit. Flipped the clamps around and did away with forming-to-contour to match the bike frame. I'll prototype it in a soft aluminum and then try to bend it in steel. What to you think? Do you have a sheet metal break. If I send you a clean drawing would you fab it? I'll be ordering another shift kit from you soon.
Nice...Nice...sketches, reminds me of the industrial designers I have worked with!

Good idea!

The aluminum will form fit to the frame with no problem...but you're idea is equally as good and eliminates the need.

I can make one for you, no problem, if you specify the dimensions.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Airbuzz,

When you were asking about the mounts, I thought you were talking about the machined mounts that I did for my latest build. The thread is : "new build, cool stuff".

You can build the mount in this thread at home with simple tools. Don't worry about making it precise. It will work fine.

Jim

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
I'll check out your other thread. I saw your 3-d rendering on the first page and this is what I commented on. I didn't recognize that there was a whole 2 other pages of posts after the first. As to my sketch… I could do some 3-d models but it would take too long. 10 minutes for the sketch, 5 minutes to scan and post. Always do the least.

If you would bend up the sheet metal based on my my drawing that would be great! It seams ridiculous having it done in Florida but you know what I'm after. I’d rather not go thru a learning curve finding someone around here. I’ll pay. Thanks Jim.

I can't find that thread Jim that you mentioned, can you send me a link?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I'll check out your other thread. I saw your 3-d rendering on the first page and this is what I commented on. I didn't recognize that there was a whole 2 other pages of posts after the first. As to my sketch… I could do some 3-d models but it would take too long. 10 minutes for the sketch, 5 minutes to scan and post. Always do the least.

If you would bend up the sheet metal based on my my drawing that would be great! It seams ridiculous having it done in Florida but you know what I'm after. I’d rather not go thru a learning curve finding someone around here. I’ll pay. Thanks Jim.
No problem! I'll need to know the U-clamp, (threaded portion), centerline distance, and the distance from the engine mount to the frame.

Jim

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
Jim,

I went thru your other thread. You are doing some beautiful work ! Wooah !

Impressive.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got the bike done and off to the kid I was doing it for. I did the motor mount over again, out of some better metal I found. I added some rubber under the mount so far the lad is stoked and says it is working fine. These are the last pics of the bike. It was more work than I wanted to do but I found out a few things about that type of mount. Have fun. Dave

PS: I found a new victim abandon in the park. Wants to be a military bike. The last pic

Attachments

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
To Egor, I can't say that drilling a hole in the frame is a sound idea. I use to race motorcycles and I read a lot of books on motorcycles, and the cardinal rule was never drill a hole in the bikes frame. This will weaken the tube and could cause possibile failure. This practice is very risky I just want to pass this on to you. I realize the gas bike is only a fraction of the weight & power of a motorcycle, but I would not recommend this while doing any modifcations on a bicycle frame.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Well the bike came back today. The reason was that it would not run. I checked it out and there was no spark. I thought it would be another bad coil, but it was just the wires came apart. The new owner installed a wire loom, one of those twist on outfits I like them but he bumped the plugs and they came apart. I installed butt connectors in place of the plugs, runs good. Well runs good after I replaced the intake gasket. You would think that after about a million of these things were made they could get a gasket to hold up for more than a few days. I also moved the needle down as much as could be, to lean it out a little. It is still blubbering but Ill have him bring it back after more break in. The lad was going to ride from Long Beach to Redondo beach, about twenty miles each way, should take a while. A bit of a ride for a break in, will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
We went for a ride today with the fella that owns the bike. His name is Dave, I rode one of my happy bikes and Duane rode my Whizzer, he loves that bike. I told Dave that if he is going to make long rides like that he he needs to install a 36 tooth sprocket, or he would get very tired of listening to that engine buzzing in his ears. Also the wear and tear on the bike. I think it will keep running now, he is happy. Have fun, Dave

PS: It is still hot out here 81 today. I have no clue what is going on. The rest of the country is in the deep freeze and we are loosing our winter.

Last edited: