tube with slime VS tubeless with Stan's

GoldenMotor.com

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
first off i have never used either in a bicycle , i have used slime in my lawnmower tires and i know it works , but have read that at high speed slime can throw off the balance , Stan's is made for bikes and seems to be very flat resistant

check the video ..
YouTube - NoTubes - Tire Sealant, Path of Death Puncture Demo

i know the pros and cons of both tube and tubeless tires , are tubeless tires worth the extra cost and trouble ? and are they really more flat resistant and lose less air over time , cause i loose about 10 to 15 psi a day out of 120 psi tires , wearing the pump out lol , and i have had 4 flats due to the tube pushing through the rim tape and blowing out the spoke hole { fixed with gorilla tape }.

so thoughts and experiences anyone
cvlt1

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
no one ?? i was thinking about trying one ounce of Stan's in my road bike tire with a tube , its not thick like slime so it should disperse better ,and be balanced , i may make the switch on one bike to tubeless just to check it out .

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have slime in my front tire, the tube came that way, had it for probably close to a year now, no flats and no issues with balance. Don't know why anyone would think slime would throw the balance off.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
I have slime in my front tire, the tube came that way, had it for probably close to a year now, no flats and no issues with balance. Don't know why anyone would think slime would throw the balance off.
well that's why i was asking bigbutterbean , i can buy a gallon of slime for a little more than the price of a quart of Stan's , for some reason i haven't seen any 700 c tubes with slime already in them ??? but i would still like to try the tubeless tires , i see on their website slime has tubeless bicycle tire sealant , i might just give that a try , every time i have had a flat it was because of the tube and not the tire ...cs.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
With Slime, you might have an imbalance if the tube has been sitting for a while, or overnight, and the slime all flows down to the bottom of the tube. Once you start riding, the centrifugal forces will redistribute the slime evenly throughout the tube

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I run with about 6 or more ounces of the stuff in my balloon tires never had a balance issue ever. I run about this much on all my tires. Been using the stuff for over three decades on all my bicycles. Morini tested to 50 mph to boot! Straight as a whistle on 26x2.7 and 24x3.0 tires never ever had a balance issue. Smooth as it gets..

If a tire is out of round or a rim is out of kelter no balancing is ever gonna help. Just like cars they condemn and replace those. They will tell you the tire is separating or something to that effect.

Preslimed tubes will come with mebbe one ounce of slime in them. Better a paper thin tube as well Expect a flat tire..

I use 2.5 mm wall thickness type tube or thicker. The heavy duty kind. With the amount of product I install I get no flats period. Works just as good as stan's in my opinion. I have a astronomical amount of Goathead stickers here. I pulled nails out that did not make it to the rim of course and road another 12000 miles. Pay attention to those stan's videos he puts hella more than one ounce in there..

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
I run with about 6 or more ounces of the stuff in my balloon tires never had a balance issue ever. I run about this much on all my tires. Been using the stuff for over three decades on all my bicycles. Morini tested to 50 mph to boot! Straight as a whistle on 26x2.7 and 24x3.0 tires never ever had a balance issue. Smooth as it gets..

If a tire is out of round or a rim is out of kelter no balancing is ever gonna help. Just like cars they condemn and replace those. They will tell you the tire is separating or something to that effect.

Preslimed tubes will come with mebbe one ounce of slime in them. Better a paper thin tube as well Expect a flat tire..

I use 2.5 mm wall thickness type tube or thicker. The heavy duty kind. With the amount of product I install I get no flats period. Works just as good as stan's in my opinion. I have a astronomical amount of Goathead stickers here. I pulled nails out that did not make it to the rim of course and road another 12000 miles. Pay attention to those stan's videos he puts hella more than one ounce in there..
yeah i see your goat head stickers , they look like some nasty hombres , and i did figure that Stan probably doctored his test tires really good with his sealant like maybe a half a bottle or more , i was waiting for extra opinions that thought the same , with 700c i only have the option of a pre slimed light tube or just go tubeless and dope with as much slime as i see fit ,i don't have goat-head stickers to contend with , but i have nails ,screws ,glass and rocks to pinch the tube to deal with .
Keith
dnut