"Winter Motorized Bicycling, tips and tricks"

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: "Winter MBing, tips and tricks"

Purty awesome Halifax! If you ever get a vid with you ridding em on a frozen lake, please post.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Cool Hali, I've only been out on the River's once, I didn't push it through corners though... too paranoid, but they handled better than without, like when I wiped out and messed up my left wrist, I was going way faster on the river ice and didn't wipe. It did stop on a dime though.

Like I said, those screws are too long, I think 1/2" would be better, but I had 100 of them around... Plus if you have normal forks the screws will cut through them

Here's me in my Day gear, Balaclava/neck wrap thing/ +Oakleys to keep my eyeballs from freezing:

Night gear, same except for Safety Goggles:

I think I froze my camera, that's why I'm getting lines :(

To combat fogging, I just bring the goggles down so I can just see over them(instead of spitting in them) until they get cold enough to slide them back up. Usually only takes 2-5min when really cold.

If you have cheap glasses, leave them outside when you go in for beer, or whatever. Cold Goggles won't fog up on you as bad as warm goggles. -I guess that's my real tip here, heh heh.

Question- My feet always freeze on me, anyone have any tips on that? I've tried cotton/wooly, poly/wooly, cotton/poly/wooly, toes alway's freeze. Should I build some mini fairings for my boot tips?

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

your toes may be too tight in your boots its not lots of tighy packed fabric that insulates its the air pockets in the fabric that insulate loose boots are warmer than tight boots basically

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

That explains why the moon boots were warm!!!I had never thought about it.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary

Yes and make sure the liners in the boots / socks are all clean, dirty clothes and what not, have all the "air pockets" filled with yucky stuff that wont insulate you. Its one thing i saw a lot of on the rigs, guys wearing filthy clothes / coveralls , complaining that they were freezing.
On a separate note I have a pair of battery operated // heated socks never have tried them out mind you. Maybe goggle it?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Got a broken finger. (long story and I come out lookin' dumb, snork) But can't use gloves. Tube socks do not work! Just saying.

Cary on

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Sorry to hear that Dan, hope ya heal up soon... heck, I only sprained my thumb an' I still whined like a baby for days lol

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Hey wasn't that your wrist you messed up a while back Killer? I hope ya give it a chance to heal?!

Sorry to hear about the finger Dan. I see ya refrained from letting us in on how ya did it lol;)

The dry clothing really helps like the others said. I learned about that old dirty cloths in the boy scouts as a kid. They taught us about hypothermia and all. I would think shoes that don't breath as much and two layers of socks perhaps one set thinner then the thicker set on the outside. Dunno?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

That sucks about your finger Dan. Maybe wooly socks or Mittens would fare better?

Yea my wrist is still messed up, slowly healing, its easy to forget about it and try to pick something up an "OW!, oh yea, can't do that" add X# of days to healing time, heh heh.

Thanks for the tips on the boots, I'll have to try to leave some room in front of my toes by not wearing 3-4 pairs of socks, lol.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i've mentioned this before, but the absolute best thing for keeping your feet warm is neoprene diving socks.

even when soaking wet your feet will stay warm, as the water will warm up, just like a wetsuit works.

i've climbed towers in extreme cold weather, snow, sleet, freezing rain, wind, etc, and sometimes you're hanging in your belt for hours ata time, with no real body movement to keep warm, and the worst is your feet are resting on frozen steel tower members, or worse, becoming part of them as the ice takes over.

the only thing i've found that works is diving socks. here's an example:

NRS Neoprene Wet Socks Kayaking Booties

the same goes for your hands, too. get a pair of 2mm diving gloves and you'll be amazed. thin enough to light a smoke yet nice and toasty.

now that i've done my good deed for your poor freezing bast**ds, i gotta go riding. it's gonna be in the mid 70's today near the beach...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Thanks guys! The really cool part of the internet thing and getting to know you guys is the opportunity to get to know you guys. The bummer part is with every body so far flung apart, will probably never get to hang out in person. Just sayin' and Thanks!

Not to ramble, (hehe, I know) But was clearing my ancient snow blower. Was having trouble keeping it running so did not turn off engine, only disengaged and poked chute with the proverbial short stick. Snow was so high that when I hit it with leg, it flipped to engaged. Glove snaged just enough to get drawn in. Blade caught tip of glove. Whamo! I couldn't tell if the finger was gone but glove was warm and wet. After getting glove off, tip of finger was horizontal when finger was vertical. I put it back on over the bone and taped/paper towled it. Could not have gotten to a hospital for hrs as I was plowed in. What had me worried was it did not hurt. A week later went for a regular Doc visit and she looked at it. Advised me to get a tetanus shot when I got some blood work done. There, they sent me to ex-ray. LOL, finger tip is now crocked and finger is a 3rd of an inch longer. A nano second of stupid leaves one with a life long reminder. Would have taken an extra few mins to do as one should and just shut the thing off.

I didn't know you could do stuff this dumb sober, snork.

Go ahead, make fun. I won't point a finger.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Eep Dan! That story's pretty high on the 'pucker factor' scale! Hope its healing alright, besides being crooked. You're lucky it was still attached, those impellors spin pretty fast.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

That sounds pretty horrible Dan. Would not wish that on anyone. Let us know how it heals? Hope you get it back 100% and mebbe even improved. That would be nice.

surfishjoe

Oct 14, 2010
South Jersey

I don't know if it is a good tip but I added some fuel stabilizer (Evinrude 2+4) to the pre mix. I figure with todays ethanol and gas siting around for awhile between uses (weather) it shouldn't hurt.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

damm dan that is unfortunate hope yah heal good without any long term repercussions

ive made similar dumb mistakes like chopping off a peice of my thumb while hacking away at some fire wood worst part was i was in the wilderness and had to tear a peice of my shirt off and use it with duct tape as a bandage i was out in the wilds for a few days so my shirt got smaller and smaller everytime i changed my bandages

dan said:
I didn't know you could do stuff this dumb sober, snork.
lmao i was in the same mindset after i flipped my first truck i almost wished i was drinking so i would at least have that as an excuse but i was completly sober no excuses but wrecklessness

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I don't know if it is a good tip but I added some fuel stabilizer (Evinrude 2+4) to the pre mix. I figure with todays ethanol and gas siting around for awhile between uses (weather) it shouldn't hurt.
Thats a great tip Joe! Makes a huge difference in time and hair pulling when ya let em sit for a while.

LOL, just remembered I have a 2 stroke sitting in a trailer with un-treated 2 yr old gas. Son of a bicyclist!

Oil and Fuel Stabilizers

"Just add the fuel stabilizer to the fuel according to the recommended dosage on the package. (Measuring is easy based on the number of squeezes through the measuring cap. Agitate the fuel tank if possible, then start and run the engine for 5 minutes or more. After that, simply shut off the engine and store the equipment away. Next season, the engine will start easily and run smoothly."

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Again and big time, thanks guys! (finger thing) Healing up really well and fast.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

It %$%#@) snowed again! About a foot and a half with wind drifts.

Last pic is just before sunrise. Shelly DeWonderdawg is having a grand ol' time. She just woke. Pelt her with a shovel load of snow and she is jumping around, barkin' and dancing.
Really, any one down south have a garage to rent? I like to sleep near my tools.

This is cool; http://www.thrillist.com/links/200958

Attachments

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Tioga makes a great heavy duty tires just right for the rugged stuff up here .
The tioga psycho -2s are my favorites actually

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Tis the season to get this thread alive again, I came across this post on Instructables:

pop-rivet studs Enjoy!

basically just pop-rivet from inside but put a washer on the outside so they hold fast.