Welding on Big box store bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

Birddog1148

Apr 9, 2010
Sandusky, ohio
So I took a used hub in to get it laced onto my Cranbrook rim so I can add disc brakes to the MB. The guy at the shop say welding to a bike is like welding to a spring. How true is that on the cheep bikes like Cranbrook? I am a good welder and have no doubts about my skills, but will I do more harm than good metaurgecly speaking?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am pretty sure Your bike wasnt glued together, it was probabally welded. Im no expert on bikes or welding but I would think if You arent trying anything new or radical I would say you are ok to weld.Just curious what were you trying to weld on ?
Cheers
Chainmaker

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Just my opinion,but I would get a suspension fork with the mounts already on them.I dont say that because of the welding,but because of ride comfort.I may be spoiled but I cant hardly ride a MB without front suspension.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Just my opinion,but I would get a suspension fork with the mounts already on them.I dont say that because of the welding,but because of ride comfort.I may be spoiled but I cant hardly ride a MB without front suspension.
Yeah, that's what I'm doin'. Can't handle the bumps. But yer not gonna hurt anything welding those tabs on. Long as you don't blow any holes through the fork.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The guy at the bike shop doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no heat treat to the cheap steel tubing they use on dept. store bikes. My only concern would be that you would blow holes in the thin steel tubing, and I mean "thin".

John

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Are you planning on using wire or stick? I would use wire if possible on the lowest setting. Maybe consider putting the disc and caliper on the left side of the fork. May not make much difference, but the force will pushing against the fork and weld instead of pulling away from it. Should be no problem. I've welded all over my bike frames and never had any bad experiences other than blowing through the frame and having to come back and fill in the hole.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never owned a Cranbrook but as far as "big box bikes", if the Target Schwinn Jaguar qualifies, I can assure you that there is absolutely no problems with welding on it. In fact, I was impressed with the clean metal of the frame. I use TIG almost exclusively and TIG welding requires clean metal with no impurities for a good sound weld. I've not encountered any splatter that normally is associated with bad or dirty steel on my Jaguars. I think the bike shop guy you spoke to was full of it...and just wanted to see you buy an overpriced bike shop version of the same bike. If you're experienced with welding you'll have no problems.
Tom

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Mr. 2door, I met with Ron in Co. today down at the REI flag store, you know, the one down by the Platte? I know this isn't the right thread but I wanted to ask you If we have any sort of rides here. One of the things RIC and I talked about. Just wundrin.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ive made my own bikes for tour de fat....i just found mild steel frames to cut up since i dont have a tig or experiance welding cro-mo....just know what your getting in to and remember you can always fill any burn hole and it will be stronger than before....

Birddog1148

Apr 9, 2010
Sandusky, ohio
I will be using a MIG. I have been welding for over 20 years, even took a class this year just to get the paper that says I did. I even passed all the test up to the 6G position,

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would mount the caliper on the back of the fork leg so the stopping force pushes on the back of the fork instead of trying to tear it off the front of the fork! ;)

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Provided you can weld (then grind) (then weld some more) (and grind some more) the exact spot and allignment for the caliper and at a perfect 90degree. I thought of doing this but went another direction.
I did investigate a new fork. Found em starting at around $55 for one with brackets for accomodating a caliper. (research type and head sizing etc.)
Might be an "easier" way to go.
But I'm sure you've researched it already yourself. Good Luck.
Robert

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I need to weld brake caliper mounts to the forks of a new Huffy cranbrook.

The bike shop guy said welding destroys the heat treat on the bikes.
the bike store guy is full of it, the little brown hands that made your huffy cranbrook did not heat treat it. welding a bracket to that will totally work.

Alternative: If the head tube is 1 1/8 on that bike, id recommend getting a "new" suspension fork with the tabs already mounted. should be able to get one for 25 bucks via craigslist. you also may have to put in bearings for a thread less headset, depending on what you find, but they are much better anyways.shft.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah, he must have been thinking about aluminium and aluminium alloy bike frames, in which case he is probably right, but the crannys and Jags are steel and steel takes fine to a weld.

Skrufrider

May 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah that bike shop guy probaply has never welded before. Ive welded plenty of cheep bikes. Blowing holes is the only concern with any light material. I use a mig usualy with out gas only becuse it belongs to my employer and dont want to waste the exspensive gas.I recently went from a springer front end to a threadless down hill mtb Bomber forks with disc brakes. There was a cool mod i seen where some one drilled two holes in the flat part of the springer and made his own mount for a disk much cooler than the regular forks. makes it look more motorcycle like

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Yeah that bike shop guy probaply has never welded before. Ive welded plenty of cheep bikes. Blowing holes is the only concern with any light material. I use a mig usualy with out gas only becuse it belongs to my employer and dont want to waste the exspensive gas.I recently went from a springer front end to a threadless down hill mtb Bomber forks with disc brakes. There was a cool mod i seen where some one drilled two holes in the flat part of the springer and made his own mount for a disk much cooler than the regular forks. makes it look more motorcycle like
Are you talking about this one? If so, thanks! I recently changed to a hydraulic caliper, much better stopping.

Attachments

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Betcha it would be be easier and cheaper to just buy one of these. Disc Brake Bracket .
Note: They only fit 180 mm rotors.​

I have on my springer forks and another on my rear axle. My stretch cruiser frame doesn't have standard axle brackets so I did have to do a little cutting on the frame but was no big deal.

rearbrake.jpg

Last edited:

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
Betcha it would be be easier and cheaper to just buy one of these. Disc Brake Bracket .
Note: They only fit 180 mm rotors.​

I have on my springer forks and another on my rear axle. My stretch cruiser frame doesn't have standard axle brackets so I did have to do a little cutting on the frame but was no big deal.

View attachment 25120

i was going to post the link... laff

yea if you just wanna make it easy on you, order that adapter and call it a day. brnot