Engine stalls when Idling

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
after taking my carb off and on several times in the very beginning I damaged that same gasket. How is anyones guess. Maybe it just wiggles when you connect the carb to the pipe. I know yoiu must have checked the nuts on that intake. I not I would tighten those before I replaced the gasket. I cut that gasket from a cereal box. That was several months ago and it works just fine.

On these bikes for all intents and purpose I think they are.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks I will try to seal it up!(^)

Is there two types of leaks vacuum and vapor or are they the same?
Same thing....take the manifold off where it bolts to the jug and goober up the gasket (both sides, let dry for 15 minutes, reassemble) with a little RTV sealant.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
replaced that gasket every time I changed it my guess is that the stuff I bought is too thin.

I am going to goop or POOP as Norman says it up tonight!

I wanted my bike to look clean but not I would just be satisfied if I could get to run properly without anything blowing up in my face or more corectly between my legs!rotfl

Last edited:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would like to say thanks to everone that has taking the time to help me with this problem, I know I could have found some simalar tread, but sometimes you really need to talk through watever monkey is on your back!

I wish that I knew about this forum before considering my build.

But it is encoraging to read about others running into the same walls and find clever ways to solve the problems that come with this hobby.:)

Last edited:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok I hope this is the end of my vapor leak!

My carb was sent to me damaged but i did not realize till now after looking closely at other photos of the same carb

I realized that the metal tab that helps make a seal around the intake tube was broken of from the very start

I do not know how it was not leaking before I did almost 300 miles like that, and it only stated acting up recently.

I think that we should make a section for future newbies that has detailed photos of what the parts should look like when they are received in good condition!

Just a thought.

I am not sure when I will have my repair all done thanks to some copper pipe and jb weld I hope it works. otherwise I will be without my bike till I order and receive a new carb. Such is life! I am just going to roll with and enjoy life.(^)

I wil post pic of my fix when I am done. but here is the damaged part

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
oh well that sucks that it was broken from the start. Hope you can get it fixed or find a replacement soon. I think I remember seeing a couple other carbs you could get...might be in a post somewhere around here.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
hey harbor freight sells aluminum solder to repair parts just like that practice on beer cans when you can solder beer cans with out melting them then you can do the carb. It only takes a propane torch to solder with. hope you can get it fixed.
norman

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
hmmm, propane torch + carb that has recently had gas in it....probably not the greatest idea. Cleaned really well it might work..if you even have that piece.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I do not have that piece it was shipped just like that, here are some pics of my repair so far.

I found a nice bike frame In someones garbage it was next to a lawn mower rotfl

but..... i only took the bike on way to home depot for my to get parts for my fix this evening too.

No harbor freight in Canada as far as know especially in Quebec the name is to English!!! rotfl
Really I not joking we have laws about that stuff as result we are 20 years behind the rest of north America in some respects.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
nice frame find. I recently found 2 matching Diamondback road bike frames (with everything but the wheels) in front of someone's house with a 'free' sign on them. But they're not as nice as that one.

Be sure to use some teflon tape on those threads so you don't have a leak. They're metal threads, so don't be shy with the tape :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
you could also put a little RTV sealant on the threads before you screw it on. Either way you'll have to reapply each time you remove the carb...no different than a regular gasket anyway.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
scootercatalog.com sells carbs and many other things like clutch for 19.50. i just bought a 49cc pull start for 99.00. they have other 2strokes

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am now at the point the i realize i am giong to need a new carberator I can bodge this one together but...

I am not overly confident that it will hold given all the vibration these bike generally have

I will need a new intake manifold as well one that turns the carb at a 45 degree angle so I will have more room to puit a better air filter in it.

I am thinking of finding or buying a used lawnmower for parts I wanted to buy new parts locally but let just say local parts dealer are less that helpful!

Ok they hang up on me soon as mention that my engine is from china, and one guy was telling me off that the about the measurement of the intake manifold:rolleyes: and yes i was polite the entire time and I never mentioned the carb I was talking to him till I hung up in frustration.rotfl

Sorry for the rant I just needed to vent once again

Anyway any ideas of what carb will generally work I read up and I know that as long as it is not too over sized or undersized it should work given i have the correct jet size, and the manifolds is ok as long as it does not have too many beds in it but generally as long as it fits the mounts and the length is close enough.

as for the intake tube I think if I had the name of a manufacture and model number parts dealers might be a little more helpful rotfl