Noobie in Salem VA

GoldenMotor.com

mike the bike

Jun 1, 2008
Salem, VA
Hi all. I've had bikes, and motorcyles in the past, gave them up years ago after a work accident. Now, with gas prices climbing i'm considering motorized biking as an alternative to driving my big Ford PU around town. I'm planning to start out with something simple and reliable, like a Staton friction drive kit with a Robin Subaru four stroke engine. Has anyone here tried any molybdenum oil additives in these engines after break in to reduce friction and wear?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi mike and welcome to the site. i went from filling my ford pickup twice a week to once every 2 weeks after my first bicycle engine kit. i used it for quick trips to the store and back and forth to work. i have moved to the virgin islands and starting new one now. they are great an economical and pay for themselves quick. i have never tried any of the additives. glad to have you with us

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've tried those type of additives in auto engines, but honestly, how do you know if they work? I mean what's to say your engine lasted 200,000 because of an additive? Oil is so much better than it was even 5 years ago, that you really don't need an additive if you change it on schedual.

Wwelcome to the forum!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. I'm kinda with Joe. Just use a good oil and change it at regular intervals. I'd like to see pictures of that after you get it finished. Glad you joined us...............

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome mike to the forum, glad you could join us :D I've heard those subaru run forever. I'm not a big fan of oil additive's, I've never seen any that actually does what they say they will do. Just keep up with your oil changes and use good motor oil (synthetic)
:ride2: