Blown Gasket

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I noticed when I got my engine back up and running with a better mounting system that it was really loud. When I checked it out I found out exhaust was coming out the front end part of the engine in between the 2 mounting holes on the front part of the engine. I tried to seal it up with some some high temp sealant but it's not plugging the leak properly and it's quite loud. Is there a quick fix for this like liquid gasket ? I clearly need that gasket replaced but I don't know where to get my hands on one or how complicated it will be to put in a new gasket..

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I think you mean the exhaust gasket. There are several vendors that sell them and some threads here on how to make your own/

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think you mean the exhaust gasket. There are several vendors that sell them and some threads here on how to make your own/
No I don't. I know what that is.

The red stuff is the sealant I was using. Under that should be a very thin gasket as that's where the 2 sides of the engine meet and those 2 allan key bolts on the side are what help keep it togther.

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
When did you change the bolts that hold the engine together?
Did you change all of them?

Replacing the case gasket will require you to split the cases which is a big job
and I doubt if any sealant will work to patch it up
Good luck
I did not change the bolt's I had tried to use what looked to be a better threaded bolt but it wouldnt go all the way in so I went back to the stock ones that came kit.I only drove it once as a test run and a very short distance with the one bolt almost all the way in. I may of blown the gasket then but it was loud right away not normal then suddnly loud so I don't know.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I did not change the bolt's I had tried to use what looked to be a better threaded bolt but it wouldnt go all the way in so I went back to the stock ones that came kit.I only drove it once as a test run and a very short distance with the one bolt almost all the way in. I may of blown the gasket then but it was loud right away not normal then suddnly loud so I don't know.
You have 2 allen head bolts in the side of the engine that hold the cases together so you must have changed them as they don't come with those
I said bolts and not studs that go in the front of the engine to mount it

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
You have 2 allen head bolts in the side of the engine that hold the cases together so you must have changed them as they don't come with those
I said bolts and not studs that go in the front of the engine to mount it
I did not change the bolt's on the side of the engine. What you see is what they came with. I know there the ones that with the engine as it's the exact the same same size and length as the longest bolt on the clutch cover. I can put the bolt in either hole and it fits perfectly. Not trying to be rude but why would I lie and say I didn't when I did ?? Not every engine kit looks 100% or comes the same bolts.

Regrading the engine tear down.. I don't see anything there that would explain how to change the gasket. However I have to start removing 500 little parts to do so then I refuse to. It's not worth the time and aggravation from trying to do so. I rather by a new engine kit then spend countless hours trying to do this.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
OK, who did you buy the engine from then as none of the engines come from China with allen head bolts anywhere
Is this a Chris Hill engine?
did you remove those bolts on the side of the engibne at any time?
or any of the other bolts that hold the cases together?

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
OK, who did you buy the engine from then as none of the engines come from China with allen head bolts anywhere
Is this a Chris Hill engine?
did you remove those bolts on the side of the engibne at any time?
or any of the other bolts that hold the cases together?
I got it from Chris Hill.

I had @ one time both bolts on the side of the engine removed but this before I had even started it up. Those where the only I removed. I did not touch anything else.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
dont buy the whole engine kit you could get a replacement engine for about 100.00 bucks plus taxplus youcould keep the old one for parts
Yah that's what I would do. I would get just the engine as I would have all the other part's for it. Sell off the current engine for part's or someone with the patience to change one little piece. The more I think about how that engine is built the more complicated it seems to do. Totally not worth the stress from or the time.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I got it from Chris Hill.

I had @ one time both bolts on the side of the engine removed but this before I had even started it up. Those where the only I removed. I did not touch anything else.
when you took those 2 bolts out you damaged the split case gasket and that is why it is leaking now

Why did you remove the bolts?
Did you use locktite when you replaced them?

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
when you took those 2 bolts out you damaged the split case gasket and that is why it is leaking now

Why did you remove the bolts?
Did you use locktite when you replaced them?
because of the mounting system I had at the time. I relied in a piece of metal that wraped around the tube of bike and conected with one of the bolts on the side of the engine. I didn't make that mounting set up. It was my buddy as I kept getting snapped bolts no matter what I did so he was trying to come up with a bracket set up that would prevent further snapped bolts. I did not use loc tight for them bolts on the side of the engine.

I'm now using a U bolt bracket that is alot more secure.

Just how complicated is it to change this gasket and how long would it take even it you knew what you where doing and where good at working one engines ? It doesn't sound like a very fun thing to do. You got the gears on one side and then the magento and key plus the clutch gear on the other. Not to mention anything else inside one would have to dismantle just to change a gasket.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Moped
Hey I'll change out the gasket for you all you will need to do is send me your engine pay for shipping both ways. I'll charge you only for parts needed and I can send you a list so you can pick them out if needed. I think you will only need the split line gasket I make these so it will only cost you for the material should be less than a couple of bucks. I like to tear into these things.
I might be able to help you out let me know. If so I'll PM you my address might cost a little more foe cross border shipping but if your in a bind I'll help you out. Or contact Chris Hill he would help you out as well. I think you said he is the seller of this engine he is a good guy to deal with. From what I've heard.
Norman

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Hey Norman- I've got to say that is quite a nice gesture.

Thanks for all of your help and advice here. I followed your video on making a throttle cable and after a bit of experimenting it worked great.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
How do you make a throttle cable ? Isn't just like a brake line cable ?

For my post. I called my buddy and he is gonna get of hold his frnd who knows alot about small engines and see if he is willing or can change the gasket for me. My other options are to try a lawnmower repair shop if I still cannot reach Chris Hill. If that don't work then I would have to send it to norm. If I can't reach Chris then I wouldn't even be able to buy a new engine.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
How do you make a throttle cable ? Isn't just like a brake line cable ?

For my post. I called my buddy and he is gonna get of hold his frnd who knows alot about small engines and see if he is willing or can change the gasket for me. My other options are to try a lawnmower repair shop if I still cannot reach Chris Hill. If that don't work then I would have to send it to norm. If I can't reach Chris then I wouldn't even be able to buy a new engine.
boygofast has a new 80cc engine for 55.00+13.50 shipping,grand total of 68.50.... Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE parts - 80cc motor silver EPA - eBay (item 190325730498 end time Aug-31-09 16:11:58 PDT)

John