Hello from a new Whizzer owner in Kansas - and a question

GoldenMotor.com

MoonKS

Apr 4, 2008
Kansas
Hello all. My name is Matthew - I live in Wichita, KS. I got my first "motorbike" today. I bought a new Whizzer after taking it for a test drive.

I originally had a Stella GB150 scooter (2 stroke) that I absolutely loved! I sold it a few years ago to pay for some unexpected bills - unfortunately I had no idea what the gas prices would look like in 2008 - and the Xterra I drive gets 16 MPG - it is painful at the pump.

For the last few weeks I have been looking at scooters online again - Stella's, vintage Vepas and Lambrettas...anything but those plastic things they put out today.

I visited a scooter site where they had a used Whizzer in stock - I was immediately intrigued. I have always loved the looks of old motorcycles from back in the early part of the last century. I even own a Felt Racing cruiser - the 1903 - which is kind of what the Whizzer reminded me of as well.

I called the local "Harley" shop they have listed as a Whizzer dealer - they said they had a few in stock. The one I bought is a 2007 NE5 - black with chrome fenders.

I never rode a motorbike - I was so used to shifting two stroke scooters - I kept feeling like I wanted to shift during the test ride.

I saw the brochure online and it said 25 MPH max speed - that was a bit disappointing. But I found this site and it says you can do different levels of modifications to increase the speed.

I don't want to do anything to increase it to the level of insanity (I would love to see someone on one of those!!!) - but I would like to do the level 1 mod mentioned where you make the opening on the restrictor plate in the carb to give it a little more top end. Right now I can slooooowly get it up 35 MPH - but I would love for 40 or 45 to be the max since most of the roads I will drive on will be 40 max.

Since I don't know much about these machines - anyone happen to have a pic or two showing the carb and restrictor plate assembly so I know what to disassemble and modify?

Thank you so much for providing a wonderful site. After spending a few hours riding today - varying speeds - breaking her in - I can't remember having that much fun on my scooter! I look forward to participating here and getting to know everyone.

Best regards,

Matthew

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am drooling! that is one beautiful ride. i don't know much about whizzers except i want one! we have a couple dealers here that love to help people and sure they will lead you in the right direction. glad to have you with us and welcome. i expecially look forward to hearing more from you about your new whizzer. i am with you. i have had mopeds scooters and motorcycles and their is nothing like riding a motorized bicycle. they are in a class all thier own (^)

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
That is a pretty bike. We have a dealer here for the Whizzers. But they are bit pricey for me. Welcome to the forum. We all like motorized bicycles here..................

MoonKS

Apr 4, 2008
Kansas
That is a pretty bike. We have a dealer here for the Whizzers. But they are bit pricey for me. Welcome to the forum. We all like motorized bicycles here..................
I actually got what I thought was a fair deal - it was listed for $1595 - I hemmed and hawed and looked at - rode it - looked at it - had a pensive look on my face...should I or shouldn't I.... and the older gentleman who owns the shop finally asked what I thought. I told him I was 80% on it - just a little more than I wanted to pay. He said if I buy it today he will knock $200 bucks off - then he wound up throwing in some free goggles, a couple of stickers, and a shop t-shirt.

I am the worst when it comes to dickering and negotiating price - so I never even try. I might not have bought it today without thinking about it over the weekend if he didn't make the offer.

Now I am going to browse the rest of the forums and see what everyone else is riding - I hope I don't like what I see....or I am afraid I will have to get a bigger garage!! :)

Take care,

Matthew

PS - I like your website Mr. Conner - nice bikes - nice family - nice plane! I have been to that museum in Liberal (I live in KS) that's the Mid America Air Museum....matter of fact, Wichita where I live is called "The Air Capital" - I love aeroplanes as well!

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I've never seen a new Whizzer live. I've seen some old beat up versions. Yours is one fancy machine. How many cc:'s?

To Add speed: I think the biggest thing against you is weight. No, not your weight :D, the bike. I mean your bike must weigh twice what my stripped down mountain bike with a 70cc strapped on does. I don't think you want to strip it down though!

So as they say in the race world the rest is just dollars! Maybe start with the air in, carb tuning and air out exhaust.($) I know nothing of the engine or if it is port matched....our Chinese engines can gain decent power doing the standard two stroke tuning. Just throwing stuff out there. Dunno if you could upgrade the ignition.

Enjoy! And WELCOME!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is a great looking bike but the price scares me to death. I would much rather run my 200 dollar bike into a tree which I sure will be it's eventual end. Welcome to the site always glad to have a mature rider aboard.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Welcome to the Forum. That sure is a nice looking bike!! I love the "Old School Look", nothing like Balck and Chrome. Not sure if Simpson sells upgrade parts for Whizzers but he does seel new ones and is and excellent source for information.......and a Member of the Forum.Simpson Motor Bikes

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's a good price fo' sho'! Nice! Licenced for the street?

How mechanical are you? Can you remove the restrictor plate if you take it apart to see what's what?

MoonKS

Apr 4, 2008
Kansas
Hi Joe - well, I build computers and restore vintage tube radios for a living - but I am far behind the curve when it comes to engines/motors. But I will try anything - I was just hoping to find an actual photo or diagram of the carb taken apart on the Whizzer NE5 showing the restrictor plate - once I can see it visually I will get to work voiding my warranty =P

Best regards,

Matthew

LWPSCORPION

Oct 13, 2009
McKinleyville California
MoonKS , Nice Bike , You got a deal and don't know it, I am a dealer here in N Ca 300 miles north of what people call north...just above Eureka Ca. I'm a WHIZZER dealer and i sell my Bikes For a lott more than the guys asking price. The restrictor is the brown/orangish thick gasket between the carb and intake, take off the carb ,cram a paper towel in the intake and take a drimmel and match the restrictor to the intake port...vaccum it out and pull the paper towel out....wala your dun.and the baffel in the pipe if you can put your finger in it you have the good one the opening should be around 7/8", in diameter . just my 2cents. Wayne

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Moon, Welcome. Lot Of History With The Whizzers. My 89 Yr Old Step Father Had One As A Kid. When In The Sixth Grade I Was Interested In Radios And The Crystal Recievers. I Could Draw The Complete Schematic Diagram Of A 6 Vaccum Tube Super Hetrodyne Reciever From Memory And Explain Every Function. I Could Still Draw The 6 Circles For The Tubes! Lol. Thats An Awsum Motor Bike. Ron

wolf74ss

Jan 27, 2017
kansas
hello moonks your post says you found a harley dealer that sells whizzer motorbikes? i have been looking for a kansas parts dealer do you have their name? currently working on a 2008 whizzer ambassador