Exhaust leaking black oily gook

GoldenMotor.com

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
So I've been riding around my new creation for a couple days now (mountain bike w/ 80cc). I thought I tightened the exhaust plenty, and even locktited the nuts on, but burnt black oil is leaking out. I remember I had a 2stroke dirt bike years ago and the exhaust leaked the same way, but a bike mechanic said that it was supposed to do that. Is my 80cc supposed to drip gook out between the engine and the muffler? Or do I need to put on a better seal?

Also I smell like gasoline after every ride, but would rather not. Is this inevitable?

Last edited:

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Hey Mike, I would suggest replacing the exhaust gasket with one made from better (thicker) material. I think I saw a thread showing how to make gaskets here somewhere. I have had the same problem on my dads bike, made a new gasket and that seemed to fix the problem. (^) I need to do the same on my wifes bike and mine. I guess they all do that. Cheap China gaskets. :ride2:

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know where I can get a gasket? Or is there a special type of rubber/material that I should cut a gasket from- I'm assuming any gasket material won't suffice because of heat and the gas/oil/other chemicals?
I bought two engine kits, could I just take the gasket from my second kit and put two gaskets on?

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, or Auto Zone all carry different types of gasket material. A small roll cost around five bucks or so. There is a lot of material on a roll. Hope this helps. Good luck.(^)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't use two gaskets together, especially if one is know to leak already.

Buy some gasket material and use the old gasket to mark out a pattern on the new gasket material and then cut it out.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You can also use a Chevy EGR gasket, But the Chevy takes a little more trimming. That's what I used first until someone pointed out the Ford works better. Here is a photo of the Chevy one, sorry for the attachment photo. I have not figured out how to post photo's yet. The Chevy one actually has aluminum in it, so I'm sure it would last longer and seal better. But I have not been able to find another one. The gasket makers are getting cheap and harder to find gaskets like that. I told BikeGuyJoe about this like a year ago.

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What would you guys pay for a high heat gasket for the exhaust. I can make them Crusier has one maybe he will chine in and give a report on them. I don't want much for them at this ten seconds I could also send just the material and you could knock out your own. what do you guys think would be a fair price?
Norman

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The Vee dub gaskets are two for a buck down the street... (But the port hole is small)
For a custom metal sleeved gasket that matches our exaust port perfectly??? $1.00 each?