Have you ever ridden your Motorized Bicycle in the snow just for fun?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Re: Have you ever ridden your MB in the snow just for fun?

Sorry guys didnt mean to come off that angry. Wont happen again.
I personally didn't find it angry...to me it was more "matter of fact", if you have advice for riding on snow/ice based on experience it would make a good post! In "How to" format.

I live in Florida...sand is a riding experience too!

Jim

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity

Just rode around for an hour or 2 a while ago today. It was fun and the bike handled well; no falls but it's not really icy yet Just dry powder and some compact. Tooling around at 15 or so it was nice. People thought It was amazing, but it felt real safe. I thought about make'n some cable/chain type traction device, I have drum and band brakes on the tracker and stock Chengsh**s or whatever for tires (been meanin' to replace the white walls w/ all black tires). Just took it easy at 1st, got a feel and rode the thing. Fun!

Last edited:

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio

i cant stop giggling when i look at that picture.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah

I raced a hoped up Honda Z50 on an Ice rink years ago. We put small carriage bolts from the inside out and left some threads showing to grip the ice, worked great (but it was hard on the tubes). used gaffers tape to cover up the heads of the bolts that worked. Screws do not work, you would think the sharp ends would be best but we left him in the ice spray. We never got to use the rink again, (it was our buddy that ran the Zamboni) said he worked all night to get the ice ready for the figure skaters in the morning and the ice was still rough. We near had snow out here yesterday, it was all around but not for us, the last time in Long Beach was in the 60's. I would try it if we get some. LOL. Have fun, Dave

PS: I still have the bike, and that was 30 years ago.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I said i "rode all day" is that long enough? There was a couple close calls but other then that it was fine. Im a very experienced rider so dont tell me its because i didn't try hard enough or ride long enough.

How's this?

"You didn't try hard enough." rotfl

Lighten up a little, you'll live longer.

I too have 40++ years on bikes with engines and without, andf I have fallen down a few times, never for lack of trying, still I am an expert.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

....and yes, I am a little lax on the emoticons.

Last edited:

unraw

Oct 30, 2008
Grunthal, Manitoba, Canada

Wait a minute, wait a minute...You're not telling us you drilled holes in your fuel tank...Please don't say you did. I see a chain up there on the tank. Is that to lock up your bike? An anti-theft device? Have you ever considered the possibility of fire with gasoline dripping down on that exposed mag? Holy Moly, guy.
Um, the chain is just for looks. I didnt think of the gas leaking out when I decided to use rivets.The gas doesnt leak out of the tank because I never fill it up all the way. And the exposed mag is because Its hard to push start in the winter so, I use a drill on the nut to start it. I really need a pull start kit But from what i've heard they arent that great. Is it just the rope that fails on them or what? I could replace the rope of thats all that was wrong with them.

I wanted to see if I could get through the snow bank but the snow was kinda hard. But the bike workes great in snow about 1/2 foot deep.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Um, the chain is just for looks. I didnt think of the gas leaking out when I decided to use rivets.The gas doesnt leak out of the tank because I never fill it up all the way. And the exposed mag is because Its hard to push start in the winter so, I use a drill on the nut to start it. I really need a pull start kit But from what i've heard they arent that great. Is it just the rope that fails on them or what? I could replace the rope of thats all that was wrong with them.

I wanted to see if I could get through the snow bank but the snow was kinda hard. But the bike workes great in snow about 1/2 foot deep.

When I see the picture of the snow bank, "Because it was there!" comes to mind.

sb bikes

Jul 24, 2008
owosso michigan

some one here had a picture of a moto ski setup that had a ski and a track setup for mountain bikes , just add engine have fun!!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Yehaa. Wanted to get a vid of rooster tailing. Have to find an unplowed parking lot so it hurts less. (^)

Been trying for an hr to get this to come out as a thumb, no go. Will get it so as to be kinder to folks using dial up. On PC, pic is to big. Need to learn to resize.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

That was kind of you Dan. It only took a few seconds to load.

The rough stuff is when someone loads up a 1024X800 or big like that....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

That was kind of you Dan. It only took a few seconds to load.

The rough stuff is when someone loads up a 1024X800 or big like that....
Joe,

Some of the pics I send are large, but I always use the manage attachments thing.

Should I make them smaller?

Dan,

Paint shop Pro is a great program.

Jim

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

No, when you use the manage atatchments, it makes them small, thumbnaikl sized photos that load fast, that way, when someone wants to see them full sized they just click on them.
It make the whole thing go much faster.

Sometimes when people post photos that are photobucket or whatever, I can't look at them because they take forever to load.

The thumbnails take only a few seconds. I click on them, then go about my business, and come back and look at the ones I need to see in the bigger version.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

No, when you use the manage atatchments, it makes them small, thumbnaikl sized photos that load fast, that way, when someone wants to see them full sized they just click on them.
It make the whole thing go much faster.

Sometimes when people post photos that are photobucket or whatever, I can't look at them because they take forever to load.

The thumbnails take only a few seconds. I click on them, then go about my business, and come back and look at the ones I need to see in the bigger version.
I had never thought about it Joe. Thank you for the heads up on it. Used to drive me insane when I had DU. I could go have coffee and a smoke just to come back and still be waiting for a page to load. Now I am probably the worst offender with big pics from photobucket. (Joe, got any linkage for an old 4stroke? Bad carbon. rough/no starting)

Jim, yes sir! I just got photoshop (mostly to do evil and funny) Big time learning curve but great program! Just have to really sit down and learn it. There are a lot of freebies too. Always about the time.

But man! Doughnuts in the snow are fun and surprisingly not all that painful if you aim for the deep snow for landing. Had Carol laughing. She thought I had one great rooster tail going. Nope, dead kill switch and a stuck wide open throtle.
rotfl

Last edited:

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

On Friday I rode around for about 15 minutes on the packed snow covered roads of my neighborhood. I had a blast. .boogy1a The key to not falling is to keep your feet down so you can stabilize yourself when you get loose. My chin was a little cold.
25F was the temp on Friday but right now it's about 1 degree F outside, too cold.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind

Well I finally got to venture out to go over to Crazy Mikes for some vids and Freddies for some vittles tonight. The roads are still all covered with a granular snow that is up to 6" deep in spots and it was about 30 degrees F.

I let out all but 20 psi in the rear tire, it is a 20" tire and a slick for the most part and I don't have a knobbier one. I did have a knobbier tire for the front 700c rim and put that on but I had to take off the full fender cause it rubbed some and put on a downtube board type fender. Once again inflated to 20psi.

Took off down the street by my house which is fairly steep and it felt pretty good actually. Got on the gas and started cruising along at 20 mph and felt safe enough at that speed. Handling was a bit squirrley but not life threatening. When I went up the first hill I was surprised at how the rear wheel wasn't apt to spin out too badly. I gauged this by pedaling and that way I could actually feel the rear wheel if it started to slip.

I thought I would cut across the Civic Stadium parking lot but it was totally unplowed and only cut tracked by vehicles. Made it through but not as comfortably. I found that if I could follow a tire track that was best. Stuck to the more traveled streets after that. I never felt like I had to use my feet as outriggers btw.

All in all a good enough experience where I will probably go out for more tomorrow.

Mabman
.cargo

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

You guys are nuts....I laid under the house thawing frozen pipes from 12:30 am, until 5:30 am....I don't ride in the cold.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Dan- four stroke, lots of carbon, no or hard start?

Rings are bad, low compression, smoking oil smoke builds up carbon.

That's my guess.